ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Magnetic sump plug ?

How much are they for a F4R?

Do they actually do anything at all? Or is everything f**ked by the time you'd realize anyway lol

I found a company that made them for Porsches, with a light attached so if metal was picked up and made some kind of a contact circuit it would flash.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
One good thing is that they will attract any shavings from the engine, thus easy to extract.

Work well on bikes! Little experience with cars.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Good idea IMHO Ive retrofitted them to a few other engines although not personally bothered on an F4R yet.
Careful which one you get though, some of them the magnets arent strong enough when at high temp and let go of the swarf until the oil cools down again, not much good keep catching and releasing it!

PS
A rare earth magnet placed on the side of the oil filter can work too.

Better with a magnet then than no magnet at all though surely?

If there is crap in there, at least you have more of a chance of it being held away from important parts..

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Better with a magnet then than no magnet at all though surely?

Agreed, but a magnet that stops being magnetic due to temperature isnt a magnet at that point in time its no magnet, lol.

If there is crap in there, at least you have more of a chance of it being held away from important parts.

Agreed, they are a good idea.

Motorsport developments do decent ones. Sadly they dont list one for the 172, but I would imagine its just cause there hasnt been a demand, I am sure that one would be available if required and someone knows the thread size etc.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Classic minis have them because they share the same oil in the engine and gearbox.

Ph1
Motorsport developments do decent ones. Sadly they dont list one for the 172, but I would imagine its just cause there hasnt been a demand, I am sure that one would be available if required and someone knows the thread size etc.

I'll second that. Got one on the Zetec build. Didn't think it would be as magnetic as it was. Very good piece of kit.

As said good idea. My c172 is just about rebuilt an would be good for its first start up an flush of oil. I take it there is no where that supplies these?

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
I have one in the Subaru. Mint wee bugger. Drained oil recently, it was exiting to see it stuck together.

All you need is neodymium magnets to do it. Can dot them around the bottom of your sump or at the front, so when you wish to drain the oil, just drag them towards the hole, job done.