ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MacBook Battery Just Fooked - 2nd Time in 22 Months

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
So much for reliability and robustness.

Sat here browsing away, one minute the battery life was 91%, next minute 0% and the laptop switched its self off. Plugged in the charger and it came back on... now my battery wont take charge :S It's only been through 155 load cycles :mad:

Seriously pissed off tbh, my windows laptop had a more reliable battery.

I just hope they replace it FOC

EDIT: My fan seems to be on constant as well :(

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
WTF? i closed my laptop, came back and now the battery is back to normal - I've just booked a genius appointment too. Do you reckon its still worth going?

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Don't not buy one LOL

Best thing I ever bought - absolutely awesome machine!

Dissappointed with the battery issue though (mines a 2009 uni body aliminum jobby)

I thought the non-Pros were just to fill display shelf space and make paupers think they can afford a Mac, before realising they have to have a Pro. Can you actually buy non-Pro??

Batteries are 300 cycles or one year, so it will still be covered.

Macbooks are funny. They are so close in spec to the 13" MBP that they had to hobble them with no firewire port and put them back in a plastic case.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
LOL
The 13" Macpro wasn't available when I bought mine - Mine is the first gen of the aliminium unibody macbooks 13" with the removable HDD.

Its running 4gb ram anway, and boots up and onto CS in under a minute :cool:

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
No it looks like this:

5384-fr43fz_l.jpg

Its a capable machine alright. Pretty robust. We get hardly any in here, which im not sure if its because they are really reliable or if they sold bugger all.

One of last machines with user servicable parts too, before they started putting random guage torx screws in there to stop people taking the batteries out.

The battery on mine is great. I was super anal about it to start with. Always right down every single time, then charge till fully charged.

Can't remember the last time I turned it on now :eek:

Im terrible with mine. Kind of like a doctor who smokes and drinks, im an apple engineer who leaves his MBP plugged in all the time, never turns it off and rarely backs up.

I think im subconsciously rebelling.

The battery in both of my MBPs is pretty awesome. The 17" will easily last between 5-7 hours depending on what I'm using it for. The 13" regularly says it has at least 9 hours remaining. My only gripe is that, according to Coconut Battery, the 13" only has 96% of its original capacity, even though it's brand new.

The battery in both of my MBPs is pretty awesome. The 17" will easily last between 5-7 hours depending on what I'm using it for. The 13" regularly says it has at least 9 hours remaining. My only gripe is that, according to Coconut Battery, the 13" only has 96% of its original capacity, even though it's brand new.

Mine did that. But it did go back up.

LY 182
Reminds me I need to check mine. I think it may have lost a bit of juice. I always let it down to 1-5% and then charge fully so not been abused.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I'm unsure on the truth to this, but I've heard that running it right up and down all the time isn't always good. If you are going to run it down at all, then fine, run it all the way down, but if you turned it off whilst still on charge, and it was fully charged, when you next turn it on, just leave it on?

Revels, I need to talk MBP with you, you're in the know.

DCi 100
I'd like to know about this aswell Rob.

Problem I did with my old laptop was leave it on the charge literally whenever using it, hardly ever used it off the battery. Which after afew years (had it 5 now), has left it with about 25 minutes battery life lol!

FF RB 182
I've got a ancient 13" black macbook and its just come with with a warning that the battery needs replacing soon. I was annoyed at first but it has been through 761 cycles and is 49months old. Time to buy a new battery from Apple. I can fit it at home right?

FF RB 182
Would it be worth trying to reset the system management controller before I spend £100 on a new battery? Someone suggested it on the reviews and questions of the new batteries for sale on the apple website. http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964

Last edited:
  SEAT Ibiza SC FR
Not worth it, just needs a new battery.

Mine is a 2007 MBP and is on it's 4th battery (OEM Apple too). Gets loads of hammer though.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
mine has done 306 cycles. don't notice any difference in performance tbh. you must be quite unlucky.

I've read somewhere that modern batteries are better being kept topped up rather than being fully run down / charged. Even so two batteries in two years is pretty crap.