ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MacBook Air

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I have a 2011 i7 MBP but need something a little more portable so thinking about getting a 13" air.

How would a 2012 air compare performance wise to my current machine? And is it worth me buying a used machine?

Are the earlier airs ok? I've seen some 09/10 models but they aren't a huge saving over new. Any advice?

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
13" retina today.

Thought about that, obviously I won't be buying anything until the announcement, my budget is around £1k if buying new, I don't think a retina will be close to that even with student discount.

I want something really portable, I'll keep the 15" anyway, I think the 13" MBP is just a bit too bulky, but would be a good compromise if I was getting rid of my current MBP.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
the current 13" hasn't really changed since 2009, its massively old hat.

I've got a 13" Air, with 256GB Flash Drive and 8GB RAM. The reason I got that over a Pro was for the SSD and portability. Its ultra portable, a lot more than the Pro 13". I find it more than powerful enough for the tasks I carry out in the Adobe suite.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
I have a 13" pro i5 and I stuck a £80 SSD in it, it is now perfect and just as good as any air I have seen.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Did it make it thinner and lighter too? ;)

haha not quite, But its much faster now and has more processor performance behind it that an Air, plus I think my pro is thin and light enough for me.

Did it make it thinner and lighter too? ;)

Which model have you got Jon?

Latest revision, 13" 256GB Flash Drive, Upgraded 8GB RAM, i5. Brilliant to walk about with and take places, battery life is excellent too. I can easily live without an optical drive and all the other ports.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I have a 10" netbook and its too small so would be getting a 13" air, I might put a wanted ad on avf and see what comes up.

Ibiza FR
I sold my 27 inch iMac for a 13" Air and haven't regretted it once. For what I use it for, it actually seems faster due to the SSD despite the lower processor power. Brilliant machine.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Is this a good deal?

Apple Macbook Air 13" with an I5 1.7ghz processor. Comes with 4gb ram and 128GB SSD drive 2011 model for £600

Or a new one with basically identical spec and 3 year warranty from apple is £850

Can't decide if the extra £250 is worth it for warranty basically.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
If spending that much money I would probably stump the extra £250 for the new one for the pure reasons of, How did the previous laptop owner treat it? Is it being sold due to a known issue? These are unknowns and could come back and sting you, plus you get no warranty or option for apple care.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
It's out of warranty.

I think I'll leave the used one. I'd have to get it delivered and I'd rather buy it in person at that sort of money.

I'll probably order online today, buying new I can double the ram for £60 too.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Just ordered mine, the 128GB 13", but bumped up the RAM to 8GB. Got an ethernet adaptor too.

Not bad for £950 with 3 year warranty.

Nearly went for a 15" retina to replace my MBP instead, but then thought the real reason for the air is ultra portability, which the retina still isn't. Although a friend got his retina the other day and it is an amazing machine, specced up on every option too.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Awesome, you'll love it. I wouldn't of been able to cope with 128GB though.

We have the 256Gb SSD in our 13" Air and have plenty of space left free. Should have picked the 128Gb SSD as the OS and Apps are the only thing on the SSD and everything else like pics, music and photos is on an external HDD.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
If it was my main laptop I'd of gone full spec with the 512GB drive, but as a secondary laptop I don't plan to store much on it. But then again if it was my main laptop, I'd of gone for the retina 15".

My first mac had a 500MB HDD lol

Fair enough, I've still got a main windows tower pc, but I don't use it that much now as I prefer just be go anywhere with the Air. 256GB is a great compromise tbh. No way I could justify 512GB for £400. Rather just buy an external casing and put a SSD in it!

500MB! LOL.

AK

M240i
I've got 128GB and there's still loads of room! Nothing but the OS and Apps etc are stored on the actual laptop, everything else is stored on a NAS that auto-connects itself when the MBA is turned on.

What will you be using it for, Chris?

I can't comment on the comparisons of actually having both, but the Air is properly awesome. Currently sat in the kitchen cooking sausages, like a boss.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Not got it yet Chris, estimated delivery is next Monday, hopefully it will come a bit earlier as I've gone for a very common build.

If you want something ultra portable then it's a viable option but if not I'd be after one of the retinas, preferably the 15" one.

CBR1000RR Fireblade
I have just rang to order one of these and they guy on the phone said that he finishes work now so he'll complete my order tomorrow!?

WTF