ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

M3 Nurburgring crash

^^ depends on the cage, that looks like a proper full on race cage, winged seats and 5/6 point harnesses and probably a fire system as the driver is still alive and it caught fire.
You dont really need a cage for a roll, its what stops the roll!

Nasty crash, seen far to many at the 'ring this year. the Armco bill is cheap in comparison to losing your car though, well for most people in trackday BMW's, Seeing crashes like that makes me think about what would happen to my clio if that happed

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Crazy. Unless I can afford a closed track day, I'm not going. Always wanted to, but seems to be getting crazy busy, and more and more accidents.

320d
Thats the main problem with the ring. It seems like there are different levels of talent and cars there. The M3 was obviously going to be flying around and it could have been the Mini drivers first time so being careful etc.

It doesn't seem like a track where you can take your time and travel at your own pace, the bills for armco etc are rediculous too.

clio 200 F4Rt
it's folk like this that will eventually end up getting the ring closed!!

dont see how it was his fault tho.

if your on a fast lap and something is dead in front of you over one of the million of blind crests there is not alot you can do.

unless they impose a speed limit on the whole place (which would be uber gay), this is something that can hardly be avoided.

Last edited:
  Turbos.
dont see how it was his fault tho.

if your on a fast lap and something is dead in front of you over one of the million of blind crests there is not alot you can do.

unless they impose a speed limit on the whole place (which would be uber gay), this is something that can hardly be avoided.

Well, the problem is that full race cars are allowed on track as complete novices in hire cars.

When you see crashes like this, you can see why they are tightening up the interpretation of 'road going.'

The difference in ability/cars is the worst thing about track days.

It's always going to be his fault if he didn't make allowance for something being over the blind bend or crest that he wouldn't be able to stop in time for. I would rather drive safely than end up like this chasing times. Then again, I wouldn't go to the 'ring full stop.

clio 200 F4Rt
It's always going to be his fault if he didn't make allowance for something being over the blind bend or crest that he wouldn't be able to stop in time for. I would rather drive safely than end up like this chasing times. Then again, I wouldn't go to the 'ring full stop.

actually good point, alot of responsibility does lie with 'driving to the conditions', so if it is an open day (i forget the german word... touristfahrhahrhaen or something) then you should be aware of things moving alot slower!

As said, me and a few mates that have been for the last 5 years probably wont make it in 2010, down to the costs and the danger factor! (likely end up doing a track day at Spa or exploring some european mountain ranges/driving heaven!)

ExigeV6|Q5|DS3|Fiat
I don't think anyone has added that if it was a German car it would have been insured as German insurance companies class the ring as a 'normal' A-B road, so as long as he had insurance he would be covered.

All the same, a normal M3 would be in bits from that crash.

clio 200 F4Rt
Would the mini driver have to pay any bills for damage to the track, or is it only the person at fault?

99% of the time its the person who causes the crash's fault.

When we were there this year, my mate in his Intergra span, didnt hit anything tho.

then about 4 bikers went down after him on the same spot.

The Polizei came looking for us, as he would of been responsible for thier damges (4 bikes plus personal injury...!!).

Luckily some by standers told the authorities that it was a blue Evo that dropped some liquids. I felt sorry for that guy when the law caught up with him!!

182cup & 172 racecar
The difference in ability/cars is the worst thing about track days.

When we did the Enduro event in Brno they told us whatever you do,do not try to move and let the DTM's pass,they will come past whatever and wherever you are,they were right,fook are those thing's quick,closing speed is immense.

I enjoyed driving the Ring this year and will go back next year, but I agree that it is all about driving to the conditions. Driving a 182 round there means you're one of the slower guys unless you're a fantastic driver so you'll spend as much time getting out of the way as you will enjoying the drive! Still a unique and fantastic place tho!

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
1. That is a truly horrific smash.
2. It proves why all track cars should have a 'proper' cage, etc.
3. Its a german e36 so will be fully insured.
4. It was a proper open pitlane trackday, so not your normal tourist day.

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
I’m going in my M3 at Easter, the DSC will be staying on lol! Been 3 years on the run now. We just take it a bit easy on some of the blind bends. If you can see the track ahead then we normally nail it.

I think if you queue up and get on then you sort of accept the risk, even if you didn't stuff it some plonker could loose it and ram into you, drop oil in front of you etc. It just life.

Its an amazing place though, I disagree with anyone who says they wouldn't go because its two risky, you can limit the risk with your driving! Other variables such as other users still exist but they do on any uk track days!

E90
Was a private trackday/driver training, might not be billed. Was a german plated car, driver will be insured.