ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

loud whining noise when cold- goes away when clutch pedal is pressed. What is it?

As above really. When driving and the car is in gear i get a whining noise which I have to be honest is pretty loud. After about a half hour the noise dispapears. It also dispappears when the clutch pedal is pressed. Any guesses as to what it is? clutch release bearing maybe?

Sounds like it could be the input shaft bearing. Can you hear it when the car is idling in neutral?

The clutch release bearing usually makes a noise when you depress the clutch if it has failed.

Yep I can hear it in neutral and idling. Input bearing then?

Reckon this is a garage job or a competent home mechanic fix?

You are going to need to remove the gearbox, it isn't a job for the faint-hearted but it can be done.
I just fitted a replacement box to mine, it took a couple of days at a steady pace.

I think you will need to remove it completely to do the input bearing. There is a plate inside which retains the oil seal, but I don't know if you can remove the bearing without splitting the box, or even if there is enough room.

Lowering the subframe to remove the box completely isn't much of a hassle once you have all of the other bits apart. The steering column is the worst part I found. You need to undo the pinch bolt and remove it completely, because there is a step on the rack stub which stops it pulling off of the column otherwise. And space it a bit limited.
When I did mine I left the suspension struts in place, and just seperated the track rod ends, and undid the bolts which hold the ball joints onto the lower suspension arms.
The guide on here says to remove the struts, hubs etc from the car which isn't really necessary.

Oh f**k! Thought this would be am easy ish fix! On the plus side car has just had a new engine so everything should come apart easily

I don't know if there is such a thing as an easy fix on these cars... :coldsweat:
Mine has been an utter nightmare, but I am slowly getting on top of everything.

SQ5
It can be done by splitting the engine and box in the bay and squeezing your hand in.

It's easy removing the bearing and sliding back on but getting the clutch fork back on to it is the worst part! It's also wise to clean out all the crap in the gearbox if the bearing has started to fall apart.

Ok I'm a little confused. I'm struggling to find where the input bearing should be on the gearbox.

I've attached a pic and can't see how or where I would have to get my hand in to get the bearing out. So do I need to open the box to get at it?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430660756.223183.jpg

If any one could tell me where the input bearing is on this pic that would be great.

The shaft you see sticking out in the middle is the input shaft. That metal plate around it which is held by two bolts retains the oil seal and probably the bearing.

The shaft you see sticking out in the middle is the input shaft. That metal plate around it which is held by two bolts retains the oil seal and probably the bearing.

Brilliant mate. Thanks for this. I was suddenly panicking that this was a full box strip down job and buying recon box might be a easier option

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Pretty sure the input shaft bearing can't be replaced without taking the box apart. What you're seeing in that picture is just the release bearing guide tube.

I have my old box in the shed, I am tempted to go outside and have a look.
The box I have is good apart from needing a diff bearing I think.

Pretty sure the input shaft bearing can't be replaced without taking the box apart. What you're seeing in that picture is just the release bearing guide tube.

Not what I wanted to hear. I think dismantling a box may be slightly out of my league. There seems to be a lot of YouTube video's for Honda gearboxes but couldn't find any for renault

I just had a look at the box in the garage. The metal plate and tube is easy to remove and the oil seal is behind. The oil seal can certainly be chainged without diamantling the box, but I think it is highly unlikey you could do the bearing as well.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Not what I wanted to hear. I think dismantling a box may be slightly out of my league. There seems to be a lot of YouTube video's for Honda gearboxes but couldn't find any for renault
If it's definitely the input shaft bearings then I'd probably recommend just trying to get another gearbox for a half decent price and fit that. Not a difficult job really, it's just time consuming! Done one the other week in about 4-5 hours though with the help of a couple of folk who knew what they were doing. If you're handy with spanners you could have it done in a day.

I just had a look at the box in the garage. The metal plate and tube is easy to remove and the oil seal is behind. The oil seal can certainly be chainged without diamantling the box, but I think it is highly unlikey you could do the bearing as well.

Thanks for having a look for me. I think as it only happens when cold I'll hold off until it makes the noise all the time. Either way it's going to need a clutch and gear box I'd it is the input shaft bearing

If it isn't urgent keep an eye out on ebay for a used box at a good price, then buy it.
If you are not in a rush then you can wait until the right one turns up.
You should get a good used one for about £200-250 delivered or a bit less if you are willing to collect.
Once your old box is out you can either repair that as keep it as a spare or sell it as suitable for repair and get some money back.

If it isn't urgent keep an eye out on ebay for a used box at a good price, then buy it.
If you are not in a rush then you can wait until the right one turns up.
You should get a good used one for about £200-250 delivered or a bit less if you are willing to collect.
Once your old box is out you can either repair that as keep it as a spare or sell it as suitable for repair and get some money back.

I think this is my best option.

The sound like I say is really evident even when it's idling in neutral with the clutch engaged and when u blip the peddle. The screach it makes sounds like a slipping auxiliary belt ( it's not the belt as the sound is definitely coming from the box). I'm certain it will probably get progressively worse as time goes by which time it will then mean time for an imminent box and clutch change.

This might sound like a daft question but have you checked that the gearbox has oil in it?

They do tend to leak a bit and over time it can disappear.

This might sound like a daft question but have you checked that the gearbox has oil in it?

They do tend to leak a bit and over time it can disappear.

No I haven't. It's just had a new engine put in 2 month a go which they put new fluid in.
It's just the butterfly lug on the front?

No I haven't. It's just had a new engine put in 2 month a go which they put new fluid in.
It's just the butterfly lug on the front?

Checked. It's got nice new fluid in it full to the brim.

My temp fix will be to turn my stereo up until it warms up and stops screeching. Lol

SQ5
It's not your input shaft bearing, it's your clutch release bearing that's knackered.

It slides over that input shaft and attaches to your clutch fork.

Clio172182clutchkit_zps35d0e015.jpg

The small part in that picture.

It's not your input shaft bearing, it's your clutch release bearing that's knackered.

It slides over that input shaft and attaches to your clutch fork.

Clio172182clutchkit_zps35d0e015.jpg

The small part in that picture.

That's what I had initially thought and I hope your right as this is a cheaper option! However the noise goes away when I press down on the clutch pedal. My understanding is that if the release bearing was bad I'd hear the noise when I press the pedal, where as I hear the noise when the pedal is up.

Yea that's clutch release bearing, I'm 99% mine did it that way round years ago

What I might do is buy the release bearing and when I have a long weekend (unfortunately I need the car tomorrow) fit it and see if that solves it. That way I'm only out of pocket for the time it's taken me.

SQ5
And if your having the gearbox of you'd replace the clutch and bearing too anyway so it's splitting the cost too ;)

You should be able to just split the box and do it too without removing.

I disagree, the clutch release bearing isn't actually doing much with the clutch engaged where as the input shaft bearing is rotating. When the clutch is pressed the input shaft stops turning, so does the noise.
Usually the release bearing will make a noise when you press the clutch and it is under load. When they get really bad the fingers on the clutch cover plate will wear through.

It will be worth having a look at it, as the box is going to have to come off either way, but it would be a shame to put the car back together with a new release bearing only to find the noise is still there.
When the fitted the engine didn't they fit a new clutch anyway whilst the car was apart?