ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Losing Hard drive space

FN2 Type R GT
This is really weird, the other day i had over 20 gb left on my hard drive,

since then im down to 53 mb yet the only thing ive downloaded is one film and an itunes update, i cant understand whats using all the space? ive deleted all norton 360 backups etc but my space keeps dissapearing...

Ive deleted all my recycle bin, removed 90% of movies music that was on my laptop as well as pictures, its got 300 gb,

Only programs i run are:

Google chrome
Limewire-could be a cause but i havnt used it in months
utorrent
I tunes
Norton 360
Word/powerpoint etc

Anyone know what i can do? or where my space keeps going?

FN2 Type R GT
Cheers for that mate, looks really helpful! Cant think it would be the hard drive giving up though, its only just over a year old hp so better not be!

FN2 Type R GT
It found 53 gb on the c: drive....

Wheres my other 250gb!?

edit: 226 gb of unknown!?

Last edited:

Gavin.

ClioSport Club Member
go into control panel/administrative tools open computer management then click storage and disk management and post what it says i there.

It should be something like this:

2008-11-13_windows-computer-management-screen.jpg

or screen print it and post the pic if your unsure what it all means

FN2 Type R GT
Print screen hard drive.jpg

Can you go through onto the c: to see whats being used, i double clicked but it did nothing?
heres the other one as well...

hard drive screen.jpg

Gavin.

ClioSport Club Member
I would say the 229.6GB of <unknown> is what is causing your problem

According to the legend on the left its a .M4A file which is an audio file for iTunes

EDIT: Just delete the unknown mate, if you don't reply i will just assume i fucked your pc ;)

Last edited:
  FN2 Type R GT
haha i dont know whether to risk it or not! maybe if i back up all my music then try, this has epic fail written all over it...

Gavin.

ClioSport Club Member
well according to that its a file/folder directly in drive c:\

go have a look and post a shot up again

unless you really do have 229GB of iTunes music, do you get all your music from iTunes or do you have mp3's?

FN2 Type R GT
Cant see how it can be itunes as all my music is about 6gb and is included in my c: drive under music as ive just checked, really strange, cant really be a virus could it?

just tried to delete it and it cant be deleted?

Gavin.

ClioSport Club Member
doubt full with is being an m4a file, i would just delete it mate. 229GB in one file is f'ing huge, if all you mp3's are safe in /music it wont harm any of those if you delete it

Monaro VXR
That windows folder looks a few gigs too large too.

Go into it and look for the temp folder. May find there is a few gigs worth of stuff left over there. It is only there for temporary files during installs etc. Sometimes though, they just don't get deleted. So worth manually checking every so often.

FN2 Type R GT
since doing the original screenshot and having to restart my computer due to uninstalling cs3 photoshop the unknown file has filled again now up to 231.2gb from 229.6gb

i dont understand what the f**k its doing!!!! this is frustrating

i think m4a isnt related, when i click on the thumbnail its just in the very bottom right corner and is just the 6gb of music, dont know why its the same colour as the unknown file though

Monaro VXR
Boot into safe mode and try deleting it that way.

I just thought the windows folder looked slightly large at over 18GB on that screen shot you posted 15GB is about normal though.

Might also be worth posting what processes are running for us.

FN2 Type R GT
just did a google search and it seems to be a problem with a virus that attacks norton AV, evertime you turn off the computer it somehow takes up more space on the hard drie, had it with norton now going to download another anti-virus, any free recommendations?

Gavin.

ClioSport Club Member
just did a google search and it seems to be a problem with a virus that attacks norton AV, evertime you turn off the computer it somehow takes up more space on the hard drie, had it with norton now going to download another anti-virus, any free recommendations?

avast mate, free and better than norton anyway

FN2 Type R GT
After a few hours pissing around with it i eventually found what it was!!

Automatic system recovery points...oh dear Vista!!

Turned it off and got my 230gb back!

Cheers for all the help, hopefully this will help anyone with similar issues in the future...