ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Looking to 3d print steering wheel thumb grips

02 Iceberg 172
G'day CSers

I am looking to 3d scan a complete thumb grip and then have it 3d printed - I just need one and I can then mirror the file to print off 2.

Is it possible to separate the thumb grips from the wheel itself? I assume so but not 100% sure.

Currently my thumb grips are ok but I have access to a 3d printer at work so am keen to try this out - should be fairly cheap way for those of you to with worn grips to replace them.

If anyone has a spare complete thumb grip they can carefully remove from a wheel and would be willing to donate or sell please let me know :)

02 Iceberg 172
Hmmm... I really don't have much luck starting threads on here :lol:

Unfortunately - or fortunately - both my thumb grips are in pretty good condition so a bit reluctant to start cutting it up otherwise I would remove one of mine to take a scan of. I'd really like to have a go at doing this to see if it can work, and there isn't really any reason to think it shouldn't. If I can get a scan and a successful print then at the very least I could offer up the digital file to others on here to use. People could then print off their own replica grips in whatever manner they wish. There are websites like Shapeways etc that can print objects off from digital files and then send back the complete object to you. Alternatively it could be a case of using the 3d printed thumb grip as a mould for producing copies in other material ether by myself or others.

Anyway at this stage I am just keen to see if I can get a thumb grip to use and then see if I can scan it to produce a successful copy. If I can do that then I'll go from there
icon_smile.gif

There's usually plenty of cars being broken in the "car parts for sale" section of the forum. Have you looked in here/contacted potential sellers?

I'm sure there'd be a f****** (due to airbag going off) steering wheel or two amongst a couple of threads.

02 Iceberg 172
Yeah apart from doing a bit of a search of threads relating to thumb grips on the forum, I've sent a couple of emails to people who have had thumb grips for sale in the hope they still had them but yet to hear back. I'll post up a wanted ad and also see if anyone who has a wheel for sale would be willing to separate the grip for me :)

You can get some idea from 3D printing services like Thingsverse and Shapeways. Just a tip, if you’re going to 3D print car parts like your steering wheel and thumb grips; utilize a stronger material like 3d2print’s nylon filament. ABS and PLA materials are brittle and prone to tweaking, so it’s obviously not advisable.