ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Looking buy my first 197 Cup or R27

Hi

I'm looking to buy a 197 and am not sure what is the best to get

I'm looking at a R27 f1 or a Cup

I'm looking at a Cup without buckets but with air con, will I really miss the buckets?

What should I look out for with the car?

Should I just spend a little more and get an R27? is the 2007 gearbox really that tiresome at 80mph?

Please help

Cheers

Dave

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
get the r27 lol!

the recaros are a must have imo... although standard seats are as comfy/supportive, they arent as special. r27s have the revised gearbox so 70mph is just over 3.5krpm

cup=poverty spec
think of the r27 as the first of the 'full fats' with a plaque, stickers and a liquid yellow option

I had the recaros and tbh dont think they are worth the hassle (they wear prematurely on the bolsters), standard seats are excellent.

R27 will possibly hold value better than a cup.

R27s and 197cups all have the later gearbox iirc, certainly cups do.

rs 1an

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
ive mastered getting in and out so i dont f**k the bolsters :approve:

they both have the revised box :) 07 onwards i think got it
ive just fitted some recaros any help/pics on the getting in and out would be nice:( see steve at rsport on here to buy a cliosport.

Last edited:
Never understood the hatred towards 197 cups on here. The interior imo is at least equal the quality of the interior of a 182, and how often do you really adjust your wing mirrors to need electric ones?

Sure if the price was the same for 2 cars of similar age/milage/condition etc then you'd go for the 197/R27 over a 197 Cup, but if there is a saving to be had, then I dont see the 197 Cup as being a bad option. I certainly never felt like I was missing out by not having a soft touch dash or electric wing mirrors.

ive mastered getting in and out so i dont f**k the bolsters :approve:

they both have the revised box :) 07 onwards i think got it

I said exactly that, until they split...

TBH if I was buying one today I'd go for a standard 197, with no cup packs.

megane 285 sport
what about early r27s, i would of thought they came with the earlier box? the cups have the revised box as they didnt make them til after the the first lot of r27s. and the r27 is basically a FF (ie non cup) with cup pack (standard) but doesnt come standard with climate xenons etc as they are options.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
ive just fitted some recaros any help/pics on the getting in and out would be nice:( see steve at rsport on here to buy a cliosport.

lol... put your left hand on the seat (where your arse goes), left leg in over the bolster, 'stand' on your left leg, right leg in, down and go. (sounds more awkward than it looks lol) that way you completely miss the bolster... i just need to think of a way to get passangers to do that without sounding crazy

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
what about early r27s, i would of thought they came with the earlier box? the cups have the revised box as they didnt make them til after the the first lot of r27s. and the r27 is basically a FF (ie non cup) with cup pack (standard) but doesnt come standard with climate xenons etc as they are options.

ive read all r27s come with the revised box... easiest way to check is take it to 70 in 6th. old box will be 4k, new one will be 3.5k

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
The best cups are usually high spec 57/08 plates-
USUALLY glacier white with speedlines / AC & recaros- all around 8k are the best ones- down to 7k for something average

R27 depending on colour & miles is from 6500 up to 8500-

I would get recaros- Poventy spec seats arent worth the agro-

Steve

My problem is, the R27 is around the £8500 mark with 32k miles from a dealer (who seemed rather cocky) and the cup is £6900 with 21k miles and a/c but with standard seats although it's the original owner from new.

I was thinking that if I do take it on track I could put some proper buckets in it anyway...

320d
Never understood the hatred towards 197 cups on here. The interior imo is at least equal the quality of the interior of a 182, and how often do you really adjust your wing mirrors to need electric ones?

Sure if the price was the same for 2 cars of similar age/milage/condition etc then you'd go for the 197/R27 over a 197 Cup, but if there is a saving to be had, then I dont see the 197 Cup as being a bad option. I certainly never felt like I was missing out by not having a soft touch dash or electric wing mirrors.

Build quality maybe. Lets remember that your missing cruise, climate, air con, electric windows, auto lights and wipers etc.

I don't see the point in 197 Cups. You lose a load of kit for no actual benefit. People say 182 Cups are pointless, 197's are even more poverty spec.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
They have electric windows lol! Its only leccy mirrors they lose!

I've had both a 197 and now a cup. They feel the same, as in yes the soft touch dash is nice, but the general ambience is the same...

Basically you lose

Keyless entry
AC (its option on a Cup)
Soft touch dash (now hard plastic)
Cruise
Fat steering wheel
Metal pedals
Electric mirrors
External temp gauge
Options on the headlights (only the silver clusters available)

And the thing i miss the most............... the external temp gauge :(

You do gain proper internal door handles though ;)

Last edited:

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Cup owns there, i even love the bare rubbing strips, contrasts well with GW

(not a fan of the stick on tat though ;))

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
Just to clear it up-

IIRC the revised gearbox has revised gear ratios - there was no revision to make the TL4 gearbox any stronger-
the gearboxes are as prone to going on an 06 plate as an 08 plate-
Its about how they have been driven & how much abuse the syncros have taken- & OR the fragility of the parts-
I sold a LY 200 to my neighbour who drives it like a pensioner & it needed a gearbox at 5k

That one you listed is a nice car- although Albi blue is the least popular these days- its a 'bit' over priced- although it is dealer & 1 owner which adds a bit of residual value-

maybe 7750 on that one....

regards
Steve

Last edited:
Build quality maybe. Lets remember that your missing cruise, climate, air con, electric windows, auto lights and wipers etc.

I don't see the point in 197 Cups. You lose a load of kit for no actual benefit. People say 182 Cups are pointless, 197's are even more poverty spec.

You lose everything you don't really need. As long it has air con option you genuinely don't feel you are missing anything IMO. You just keep a couple grand in the bank ;-)

Renault made one uk spec model which went to a friend/relative of a renaultsport enthusiast. In Europe they were available in gw as standard.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

Same tbh, the dashboard/interior is terrible on both, so as long as it has Recaros i see no reason not to look at a Cup.

In fact, the benefit of buying a cup is that it will have the revised box, whereas an R27 might not.

Looking at the prices Steve's quoting, im not entirely how sure i managed to pay less than £6.5k for my Nimbus one lol.