ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Long Term Storage

mharvey

ClioSport Club Member
Hi all.

I'm most likely taking a job next month which is out of the country. I'll be there for a minimum of a year but may even stay 2.

Now the sensible thing to do would be to sell my car however I don't want to. Heart over head and all that.
I've spent an absolute fortune on it since I've owned it, can't think of a part that I haven't replaced and I just wouldn't get anywhere near what it's worth to me. The car in question is my 172 Cup.

I already have a reasonably secure garage (council owned) in a fairly good area and have family that can check in on it. Got a car cover to go over it in the garage too.

What sort of things would you suggest before storing it, so far I'm thinking:

• Oil & Filter change.
  • Fill to brim with petrol to avoid condensation in tank.
  • Car on up to avoid flat spots.
  • Windows slightly open and some dehumidifier pouches in the car.
  • Battery removed.
  • Family can start it up once every month?

Things I'm not so sure about:
  • What should I lubricate etc.
  • Anything I should remove?
  • Brake pads out to avoid seizing?

Any tips would be really appreciated.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
I wouldn't start it once a month. For starters the fuel will drop if condensation is an issue in the tank (I've no idea?). Just leave it be.

How much is the garage every week/month ? Add that up x 1/2 years and see if you can buy a Clio for that price. I think I'd rather sell up...

RS Clio 172 Cup
Hi all.

I'm most likely taking a job next month which is out of the country. I'll be there for a minimum of a year but may even stay 2.

Now the sensible thing to do would be to sell my car however I don't want to. Heart over head and all that.
I've spent an absolute fortune on it since I've owned it, can't think of a part that I haven't replaced and I just wouldn't get anywhere near what it's worth to me. The car in question is my 172 Cup.

I already have a reasonably secure garage (council owned) in a fairly good area and have family that can check in on it. Got a car cover to go over it in the garage too.

What sort of things would you suggest before storing it, so far I'm thinking:

• Oil & Filter change.
  • Fill to brim with petrol to avoid condensation in tank.
  • Car on up to avoid flat spots.
  • Windows slightly open and some dehumidifier pouches in the car.
  • Battery removed.
  • Family can start it up once every month?

Things I'm not so sure about:
  • What should I lubricate etc.
  • Anything I should remove?
  • Brake pads out to avoid seizing?

Any tips would be really appreciated.

Looks like you got it covered there!!

id just leave the handbrake off and leave the brakes be! my friend stored his car (mr2 turbo) in pretty much the same manor for about 4yrs and it was fine :)

Agreed mate , just off the floor on stands as said , I wouldn't worry about starting every months , possibly every 3 months or just leave it be , as long as the battery is disconnected it'll be fine !

Good luck with the job buddy !

FiestaST(ex 172 Cup)
Your first post sounds fine except for... don't start it every month. If you leave it on the floor, leave the hand brake off. Get a cover for it because bits of crud will drop from the ceiling on to it. Only open the windows a couple of cm so you don't get little animals climbing in. You can if you want to stuff a little bit of paper into the exhaust pipe and maybe the airbox intakes to stop small rodents climbing in. Not too far though for obvious reasons.

Stick a note to the steering wheel detailing everything you need to put back in/take out to remind yourself when it comes time to get it back on the road.

172 Phase 1 & 172 Ph
I laid my clio up for about 18 months in a rented garage no probs, you have got everything covered by the looks of it, although I would suggest getting some fresh anti freeze in there if it's being stored through winter and remember to leave the handbrake off, so easy to forget!

172 Phase 1 & 172 Ph
Oh and give your steering wheel a bloody good clean before you lay it up as it's the first thing to get mouldy, it might look clean but I've found giving it a thorough clean avoids the mould. (Sounds silly I know!)

Clio Cup
Make sure its dry before you put it in , maybe stick some waxoyle in the arches at the back sills and anywhere it may rust in that time.