ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Locking wheel bolt removal

S2000
My brother has had a bit of a problem with his Mk4 Golf locking wheel nuts, so looking for a bit of advice. Below is a post on a VW forum earlier.

If anyone has any experience of this/any advice it really would be massively appreciated.

I've lost the key for my locking wheel bolts and having a bit of a problem getting them off, so hoping for a bit of advice.

The problem is that the bolts are tightly recessed into the wheel and so its not possible to bash a socket over it and remove it that way as there is not room around the bolt. The car is at the garage just now, they've tried using EZ-out type (reverse thread) adapters but they snapped and they have also tried drilling it out but have been unable to drill through the bolt material (other than a pilot hole) as it just destroys the drill bit.

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting it out?

They reckon they will now have to drill out the alloy around the bolt so that they can hammer a socket on to get them off, but obviously I would rather avoid that. I'm going out to have a look myself tomorrow, but other than trying to weld something on there (guessing they have thought of that and space doesn't allow it) I can't think of any other options.

Any help or suggestions would be massively appreciated.

Cheers.

172 cup
had same on my turini's when I got my cup it had no lock nut key. Went to local engineer. Welds nut to lock bolt, waits to cool. Uses head of nut to undo bolt, job done

S2000
had same on my turini's when I got my cup it had no lock nut key. Went to local engineer. Welds nut to lock bolt, waits to cool. Uses head of nut to undo bolt, job done

That is what I would have thought it the best option tbh, but I've not had a look at it yet and am assuming the garage have some reason for not doing it. Out of interest how for recessed into the wheel was your nut?

I'm just wondering in terms of accessibility for welding, as I can't remember how deep the recess is on my bro's car but reckon it might be quite far in.

S2000
answered on valver ;)

Nice one! Replied on their, but included it on here below in case you see if first (needing to get it sorted asap! lol)

"Cheers, what sort of tools do you have? Most things I have come across need you to have access around the side of the bolt head but there is no room (only 1-2mm) between the head of the bolt and the wheel so most of them can't be used. Car is currently in the garage and they seem to be at their wits end with it, hence asking of here."

ITB'd MK1
oh those ones are really hard :( There is a tool for it however, attaches to an impact wrench and as you hammer it on it bites into the face of the bolt rather than the sides. Borrowed one before from a mate who worked at Honda

S2000
oh those ones are really hard :( There is a tool for it however, attaches to an impact wrench and as you hammer it on it bites into the face of the bolt rather than the sides. Borrowed one before from a mate who worked at Honda

Yeah, seems to be a bugger but not had a proper look at it yet myself.

Was it one of these you used by any chance:

http://www.dynomec.co.uk/indexEnglish.html

Going to give that company a ring tomorrow to see if it'll do the trick, and if so I'm told they will tell you of local garages who have them so may be able to get it sorted that way (fingers crossed!)

S2000
haha - yeah seems to be a good bit of kit so will see what they say tomorrow, but its good to see someone has used them before.

Cheers for the help.