ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Limp mode help

2002 172 cup
On my way to work the electric warning light came on and my cup went into limp mode when I turned it off and on it was fine should I clean anything or replace anything to stop it from happening again cheers in advance

Lionel Richie
you have a fault somewhere, needs to go on a diagnostic really

but check your spark plugs, normally one of the causes

Freetrack&Monaco 172
Mine had a similar issue, was related to the 'fly by wire' throttle body's electronics starting to die. Think it was to do with inconsistent TP sensor readings being fed to the ECU. Mine gradually got worse and worse until it would kick into Limp several times a journey. replaced the throttle body with a second hand one (£30 ish) and not had a problem since.

Think this issue may also be caused by the throttle position sensor in the accelerator pedal assembly.

There are a few other causes too, have a search for 'limp mode' you'll get quite a few bits of good info.

And as Fred said, had mine plugged onto a diagnostic system at a garage, pinpointed the problem straight away as it gives you a stored fault code. Get some quotes before you roll up to garages though.

Avoid renault as I think it is about £56 a pop to be checked out.

Last edited:
  2002 172 cup
Ok cheers its due service any ways il do plugs and see if the problem is still there then a changed throttle body should sort it hopefully. I will do some limp mode searching later.

clio 182
On my way to work the electric warning light came on and my cup went into limp mode when I turned it off and on it was fine should I clean anything or replace anything to stop it from happening again cheers in advance

I have the same issue and i plugged it into my code reader and it came with throttle sensor fault, have to order a whole new pedal £58 but i'm hoping this will sort it. where u based?

2002 172 cup
kind offer pitty its the other side of the pond my mate has full dianostic gear but drove the car all afternoon with no issues hopefully it was just a gremlin that wont rear its head for a while yet. Like my fuel light it came on one day and next day it sorted itself out these renaults have some crazy electrics youd think stevie wonder installed them. cheers lads

CSX

172 CUP!
Had similiar thing couple of weeks ago, light flashing - limp mode - Sometimes would work then not. Called the RAC to plug laptop in to get errors - The guy checked all the faults one by one and they were fine when testing... Cleared the faults and car has been fine since - Weird o_O