ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lightweight Doors

Twingo 133,172 Racer
Well ive stripped my clio ready for racing in 2013, engine is almost complete and im looking around the car to get that extra kilo of weight out. My question is about the doors. Will the door have enough strength without the inner skin? i plan on cutting the majority of it out but leaving a small lip around the edge to fix a door card to. safe to do this? Done a search but couldnt find a definitive answer. Happy new year btw! Cheers luke

Twingo 133,172 Racer
yes full welded in cage, door bars etc. just didnt know how much the door depended on the inner skin for strength. Will get the grinder out this weekend then!!

Search for chrispys thread. He done his quite extreme.

5e67231a.jpg

M3, Cup racer'd 182
Was just seaching to see what people have done to their lightweight doors and what final weight they had and came across this.

Chrispys above is good but you can go more extreme than that if needed here's mine.
A22053B1-1F1B-4C98-AE06-2B89736A0B37-1201-000002C42D85BDC8.jpg

Final weight was 12.70kg (door lock and mechinism/mirror/side skirts still on) its still solid but also flexible at the top so with a Perspex window bonded and bolted it should be more sturdier.

182cup & 172 racecar
Was just seaching to see what people have done to their lightweight doors and what final weight they had and came across this.

Chrispys above is good but you can go more extreme than that if needed here's mine.
A22053B1-1F1B-4C98-AE06-2B89736A0B37-1201-000002C42D85BDC8.jpg

Final weight was 12.70kg (door lock and mechinism/mirror/side skirts still on) its still solid but also flexible at the top so with a Perspex window bonded and bolted it should be more sturdier.

I didn't go that far, mines the same as Chripys. Scrut's get very jumpy at sharp edges.

M3, Cup racer'd 182
The edges have been dremel'd down to a smooth finish, its not getting raced so that's not a problem for me but as with the edge you could always put rubber beading around the edges.