ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Life time of whining GBox?

172 Ph2
How long could a 'whiny' gearbox go on for?

I know it could vary, but has anyone lived with one for a few years of driving?

thanks

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Depends on so many things mate.

Pretty difficult question to answer. Boxes are so cheap, get it replaced.

172 Ph2
Thing is, my car has just been declared a CAT D (minor boot floor damaged) So im not sure whether its worth spending the money on..

Sell on value of a CAT D must be 50% less i imagine.

Listerine & Poledo
"minor boot floor damage"
Yeah, if anyone was looking to buy it at even a vaguely normal price, one look at that folded metal will have them walk.
Basically, no. no 172/182 Cat.D is worth spending money on. Just take the insurance payout and buy another one.

172 Ph2
I thought of getting it repaired myself, and selling it honestly as a CAT D. For maybe £600 instead of £1200. Would be such a shame to scrap the car.
Either that or keep it - but then i wouldn't want to invest any money in her, on the Gbox for example...
I like the idea of a new toy though.

Take the payout, find out the buy it back price, and see if it would be worth while breaking it.

Saying that, I had my boot floor damage repaired and still own my car.

Keep it as a cheap track slut

Listerine & Poledo
I thought of getting it repaired myself, and selling it honestly as a CAT D. For maybe £600 instead of £1200. Would be such a shame to scrap the car.

By the time you've boughtg it back and fixed it, would you make anything back? I dont know, but doubt it.
Of course, buy it back, asset-strip any bits you've added and bolt them to another. Sell the dead husk.

You wouldn't be the first to scrap a clio, and you wont be the last

Assuming the damage is mainly cosmetic, to the degree a new bumper and possibly book could make the car presentable again - then it's worth the £50 in parts and buying the car back for a couple of hundred quid.

Personally, I'd then get some breakdown cover and drive the thing until/if the box went bang and then reassess the options.

Listerine & Poledo
If it's a big enough whack to bend the boot floor, it's going to take more than a £50 bumper cover to get it presentable, surely?
True, we have no pics to be sure.

It would be yeah. But you could just accept the fact it's a damaged shed, buy a second hand bumper as suggested, which will tidy it up from the outside. Then drive it until it dies.

Very cheap motoring. Assuming the chassis is actually still reasonable and not about to split in two (which It must be if it's only a Cat D)

Yeah we are all assuming and going on the little info that OP's love to give us to make our answers as pointless as possible.

Although it doesn't take much impact to bend the boot floor on a 'modern' vehicle, and I was basing my assumption on the word Minor. Pull the slam panel back in line so a new boot lid shuts against it, new bumper and bob could your mothers brother.

172 Ph2
Well my original question was only about the gb... Hence no pictures.
Just weighing up whether to fit the springs / exhaust I had lined up on a car with a whiny box and that's now a cat d.

In regards to the damage, the bumper must be made of elastic or something as it's hardly marked.
A friend has offered me £600 for it, and considering it's due an mot, I think that's fair.

Listerine & Poledo
yep, just off-load it onto someone else.
And no, no point throwing good parts at it.

172 Ph2
Ok well the sale didn't happen. I've repaired the minor damage, and I'm left with standard 172 new tyres, brakes and cambelt - but he's a cat d.
Realistically whats that worth?