ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lens Creep?

Ford Focus ST2
Had a looked online at a few different lenses and some of the reviews say the bad points it has lens creep?

I have searched online but cant find a real answer, a lot of answers online are stupid like

"Its someone who stands behide you and fiddles with your lens" :clown:

Any real answers on what lens creep really is?

Thanks

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
If it moves, either the focus or the zoom, of its own accord, like if a big lens weighs too much.

I think thats right.

ValverInBits
I know nothing about cameras, but I do know that glass is essentially a very very viscous liquid. Measure the thickness of any really old window and it'll be thicker at the bottom where it has run down. This phenomenon limits the size of telescope lenses.

Don't know if that has ANYTHING at all to do with lens creep..........

Ford Focus ST2
If it moves, either the focus or the zoom, of its own accord, like if a big lens weighs too much.

I think thats right.

Sounds like a good answers, maybe i should buy then other lens then without the lens creep!

Not really a huge problem on twist to zoom and focus lenses, more of an annoyance.

It was more a problem on push pull lenses because they used to slide around all over the place and probably wear out the zoom.

182FF with cup packs
I know nothing about cameras, but I do know that glass is essentially a very very viscous liquid. Measure the thickness of any really old window and it'll be thicker at the bottom where it has run down. This phenomenon limits the size of telescope lenses.

That's an urban myth. The window thickness thing is due to panes of glass in old windows being made of blown & spun glass instead of float glass. I think what limits large telescope lenses is simply the weight of them, and the difficulty of making such massive clear pieces of high quality glass, and the cost. Using a big mirror is just easier.

Lens creep usually occurs on plastic built lenses with heavy front glass elements. The Nikon 18-200, Sigma 18-200 etc suffer from this issue. My old 18-200 used to creep, but was never an issue for me as was always holding the lens whilst shooting anyway!

Cupra
It's only really an issue if you are going to be shooting with the camera pointing up or down in a tripod. For normal use, lens creep won't really be a problem.

Cupra
spoiler.gif

"Navy" N17 TWO
Lens creep usually occurs on plastic built lenses with heavy front glass elements. The Nikon 18-200, Sigma 18-200 etc suffer from this issue. My old 18-200 used to creep, but was never an issue for me as was always holding the lens whilst shooting anyway!

Exactly - I had this on my Tamron 18-250mm but it had a lock on it so it wouldn't extend out when carrying the camera about :)