ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lemforder track rods

LY FF182
So, as part of the suspension refresh on my car.. I bought Lemforder track rods. Fitted most the parts a few months ago and only just got round going to fit the track rods. Turns out they are wrong!! Pulled the steering rack boot back and compared the old and new items before removing anything else, the Lemforder items are sooooo much shorter than original bits (think original anyway)

73_zps6ce4dc27.jpg

74_zpsc45edb63.jpg

75_zpsaf589a89.jpg

The car is a FF 182 so maybe this is where it's gone wrong, the Lemforder items are 270mm end to end (rack end threads included) and the original items appear to be about 5cm longer. Anyone know what ECP are like returning parts after 4 months??

This is common issue for Motor Factor Track Rods.
May let you exchange but doubt they'd give you money back. Whether they even do one the correct length I don't know.

Cup In bits
As said they will give exchange (credit note) after grace period but make sure they get sent recorded as my track rods I sent back went "missing"

I put lemforder rods on my phase 1, nearside rod didn't tighten to the plastic stop but that was my only 'issue', length was fine, can get you the p/n if it's any use?

LY FF182
Thanks guys, I'll pop into a ECP branch and see what they can do.. Problem is while I had the boots off I checked for play.. There is absolutely zero play in the track rods that are on the car. So don't really need to replace them.

Replace them anyway!

Seriously now it's stripped down that far - the ECP ones are £14 each - so £28 and half an hours work.
Mine seemed to have no play at all, when I took them off the car and looked at them in the garage they didn't seem to have any play but they were "floppy" - where the new ones were very stiff to move around.

But fitting them made my steering feel like new!

172 Cup
Replace them anyway!

Seriously now it's stripped down that far - the ECP ones are £14 each - so £28 and half an hours work.
Mine seemed to have no play at all, when I took them off the car and looked at them in the garage they didn't seem to have any play but they were "floppy" - where the new ones were very stiff to move around.

But fitting them made my steering feel like new!

Did you have to buy genuine seeing as the cars a cup? I didn't think cup parts were available from factors?

172 Cup
No you can use the firstline ones posted a bit further up in this thread - they are the exact same length as cup ones :)

Cheers Phil. Did they come from ECP? Are they listed as Cup specific or do you ask for something else?
Whos make rod end did you use and where from?

Are those first line ones the righ length for 182 FF? Or just 172 cup?

There's only 2 lengths of inner TR as far as I'm aware - those first line ones are the longer length used on the cup.
I'd suspect as your 182 is a FF it also needs the longer length so they will fit fine :)

Cheers Phil. Did they come from ECP? Are they listed as Cup specific or do you ask for something else?
Whos make rod end did you use and where from?

They're actually listed as a berlingo van I believe but just ask for them by part number FTR5277
I used the first line ones and bought them from GSF :)

You can buy them online though too - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FTR5277-F...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2a2bf041db

172 Cup
There's only 2 lengths of inner TR as far as I'm aware - those first line ones are the longer length used on the cup.
I'd suspect as your 182 is a FF it also needs the longer length so they will fit fine :)

They're actually listed as a berlingo van I believe but just ask for them by part number FTR5277
I used the first line ones and bought them from GSF :)

You can buy them online though too - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FTR5277-F...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2a2bf041db

Thanks for that. Did you use the FTR4984 rod ends with yours?

No. When I was in GSF I asked to look at the different rod ends and bottom ball joints they stocked - I ended up going for the more expensive ones they stock, I think they were TRS? I might still have the invoice at home

They just looked a lot better quality than the firstline stuff - in fact they looked better than the renault stuff I took off lol

Cup In bits
Pretty much all track rod ends that are listed against a clio 1*2 will fit all models it just depends which manufacturer is the best quality as Phil said.

LY FF182
Turns out I cant take the track rods back as ECP have a 7 day returns policy. It's been almost 4 months, oops. Anyone know what model the 270mm track rods fit, if anything?

Those rods you have look too short to fit any 1*2. The non cup ones are only about 20mm shorter.

I'd try saying you bought them a week ago but lost the receipt, you'll probably get a credit note then.

Google the part number on them.

172 Cup
No. When I was in GSF I asked to look at the different rod ends and bottom ball joints they stocked - I ended up going for the more expensive ones they stock, I think they were TRS? I might still have the invoice at home

They just looked a lot better quality than the firstline stuff - in fact they looked better than the renault stuff I took off lol

Yeah your right. Best quality ones are TRW at £14.50ea at GSF. Miles cheaper than Renault parts!

That's it! I was close with TRS LOL

TRW - very very good quality. I actually took the renault ones back as they looked cheap compared to the TRW ones and were a LOT more money

Cup In bits
I'm not sure that's true Phil, I'm sure a few more company's make them but I have yet to spend the time ordering the parts to find out, I have a hunch its just Kangoo van inners that 172 cups need. That's what them Firstline ones I gave you a number for were listed under at most places.

LOL well yes

Swede - probably the do seem to be kangoo ones but I asked ECP and GSF to cross reference the part number and all other manufacturers listed no equivalents so I'm not sure anyone other than first line make them (other than obviously Renault lol)

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
LOL well yes

Swede - probably the do seem to be kangoo ones but I asked ECP and GSF to cross reference the part number and all other manufacturers listed no equivalents so I'm not sure anyone other than first line make them (other than obviously Renault lol)

FAI also make them for the Cup, ordered some from Micks Garage and they were perfect.

Westfield, 182, 200
I bought some inner rods from ecp for my wife's 182, they were lemforder and about 15mm too short, so I emailed lemforder-they don't supply inner track rods for an182 clio!

I took themnback and informed ecp who still list them for the 182.

Incidentally, I replaced the inner rod on a Trophy recently, when I took it off, I couldn't feel any play, but it cured the play in the steering.

​Ian.

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
Phil, would you suspect the longer ones would be required using a DCI rack on a Trophy?
i assume the Trophy setup would be the same as a Full Fat setup.

FF Racing Blue 182
I may have missed it but where can i buy the longer track rods....any links?

Also does it matter what rack i have its a cup packed 182 surely its the same as all other FF 182s.....oh I'm confused lol