ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Left indicator stops when using the brake

Volantech CC Panels
When I press the brake and indicate left, the indicators fully stop until i've stopped braking. Also the fog light slightly shows on the dash when i press the brake.

Looked online and found that it should be earthing to the rear light so i took the light off and found that one of the cables had slightly melted very close to the connector and was almost touching the other one. The rubber had melted together and two cables were stuck together. I separated them and put tape around the cables so they wouldn't touch anything else. Thought this would fix it but just in case I WD40'd the connector and the socket where the cable connects to.
I also took the earth cable off, fully cleaned it, sanded it and the bolt that it goes onto to make sure it's well earthed and has clear metal to metal connection.
I even tried to add my own earth by connecting an extra cable straight from a bit of metal.

None of this worked, still does it.

When i put the fog lights on, only the right fog light turns on so i'm not sure if it's only supposed to have one fog light or both, i'm guessing both? Might be why?
All fuses are alright, how would i know if one is missing?

Only thing i'm thinking i can do is get new wiring and swap the wires and connector for a new one?

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
When i put the fog lights on, only the right fog light turns on so i'm not sure if it's only supposed to have one fog light or both, i'm guessing both? Might be why?

This is normal.

As for the rest, it's an earthing problem, I'm fairly sure. But you seem to have done most of the right stuff. Try taking the light cluster out, and checking the pins on the back (that the connector plugs into), and the contacts on the front side, where the bulbs are.

clio 172 phs1 turbo
Hey buddy
If you can replace the burnt out rear bulb holder even if looks ok proberly still knacked if its had earth burning. Or to test it try if you can swap the rear bulb holder with the other side and see if the fault swaps side aswell. then you know its them or not.
Plus( without sounding sarcastic) have you changed any bulbs recently? Are they correct bulbs, fitted correctly make sure where the bulbs sit there not greening corroded or loose
Let us know how u get on

Volantech CC Panels
Sounds like an earthing problem! have you got a tow bar fitted?

Nope no tow bar fitted but it has had an earthing problem to the starter motor

Hey buddy
If you can replace the burnt out rear bulb holder even if looks ok proberly still knacked if its had earth burning. Or to test it try if you can swap the rear bulb holder with the other side and see if the fault swaps side aswell. then you know its them or not.
Plus( without sounding sarcastic) have you changed any bulbs recently? Are they correct bulbs, fitted correctly make sure where the bulbs sit there not greening corroded or loose
Let us know how u get on

I'll give it a go. As for the lights, they haven't been changed since the problem has evolved

Volantech CC Panels
Got fed up of trying all different methods so just bought a new wiring loom with the connector and soldered it on, problem fixed, finally.

Check that one of the double element bulbs hasnt blown one of the elements (usually the brake light element), this knocked all the light into doing different things, i.e brake lights coming on when i locked it

one changed bulb fixed everything.