ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

leaking selector seal, gearbox leak fix

Hi,

Im sure some of you know there is a fix manufactured by TND. I found that mapco (german company) is distributing the kits.

There are videos on youtube on how to fit with out having to strip the box.

Link to the kit
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=191523208952&alt=web

Link to videos

Hope this helps

Josh

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1430465059138.jpg
    FB_IMG_1430465059138.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 1,034

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
I've just checked the list of compatible cars and it says yes to 172's but no to 182's,
my 52 plate 172 has a JC5 130 box that was fitted to alot of 182's, so I have no clue if the kit will fit mine.

PB 172 phase 2
^^^ This is exactly what mine looks like underneath. I took it to the garage to price up new seals fitted and the mech said he thinks its my sump leaking? I said how seeing as its behind the gearbox(oil blows back when driving) mech said 'nah the oil from the sump rolls down to the lowest point???' He then said if you bring it back I will put it on ramp and run it for about hour and half to see what happens' Yeah right see ya!

PB 172 phase 2
I've just checked the list of compatible cars and it says yes to 172's but no to 182's,
my 52 plate 172 has a JC5 130 box that was fitted to alot of 182's, so I have no clue if the kit will fit mine.
How can you tell what gear box you got fella? cos I got a 02 plate 172 and might invest in this if I know it fits/works?

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
Because it bought it from a Renault breakers yard that had just dismantled a 182,
plus it has the bolted circlip that only came on JC5 130's, as long as your current box is a non speedo drive it'll work.

PB 172 phase 2
^^^I don't even know what a speedo drive is/looks like? Proper noobie to cars, I had a 1.2 campus before this ...and a cycle before that :-S

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
Speedo drive refers to the plug that goes into the back of the gearbox and gives the speedometer it's information.
P1000142.jpg

Non speedo drives don't have this and take their information from the rotation of the wheels.

Not sure on compatibility, my box is compatible apparently.. I will know in the week how I get on with the kit, didn't get a chance today as I was doing other bits!

Will update asap

Okay. Fitted the TND fn10 kit from Mapco. It's easy to fit, but the gators etc on the selector lever are easy to tear so bear it in mind. I have to replace 1.

I followed the instructions as per the video.

Firstly I think a lot of people find the little white plastic insert to be the cause of their leak, I believe both my selector seal and bush leaked.

Here is the part in question

20150504_162245_HDR_zpsxftvl5aw.jpg

20150504_162314_HDR_zpshjktpefu.jpg

20150504_162307_HDR_zpsj8xwbmam.jpg

The black rubber seal on it was persished badly. Oil seemed to collect in the bush.

Anyway, I was in a bit of a pickle as I needed to drive home and put sealant above the bush, it seems to have stopped the leak so far.

I'm leaving the lower engine cover off to keep an eye on things

20150504_184350_HDR_zpsef3j8s2k.jpg

So far so good

Cheers

Josh

I only know it by the generic jc5 dave sorry, it seems to fit anything from a renault 11 to a scenic!! The box oil does drain near the end when you undo the 16mm nut beside the selector seal. Its to fit a retainer as per the videos.

Its worth changing it if it's been leaking indefinitely, my box only had 0.8l of oil as the previous owner left it on the drive for almost 2 years with no maintenance!

Do you know what gearbox do you have, also did you have to drain the oil before you did this?

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
Good because i'm sick of the thing dripping on the driveway and having to top it up every couple of months,
I can't believe it's just a tiny piece of plastic that causes all the problems.

Good because i'm sick of the thing dripping on the driveway and having to top it up every couple of months,
I can't believe it's just a tiny piece of plastic that causes all the problems.

Yeah it's a s**t design tbf mate.

I would put money on it that it was that crappy plastic bush. I won't be at all surprised if it still seaps or something. I just wanted to have a go at it, owned it for 2 weeks and got very pissed off with the drips!!

Still a bit of a seap yea mate!.. About to go outside and check the pass shaft
How's the leak coming along? Still sorted?

I fitted mine today and didn't have any major issues. My ball and socket was quite loose I wonder if that's giving me some play with the gearstick

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Okay. Fitted the TND fn10 kit from Mapco. It's easy to fit, but the gators etc on the selector lever are easy to tear so bear it in mind. I have to replace 1.

I followed the instructions as per the video.

Firstly I think a lot of people find the little white plastic insert to be the cause of their leak, I believe both my selector seal and bush leaked.

Here is the part in question

20150504_162245_HDR_zpsxftvl5aw.jpg

20150504_162314_HDR_zpshjktpefu.jpg

20150504_162307_HDR_zpsj8xwbmam.jpg

The black rubber seal on it was persished badly. Oil seemed to collect in the bush.

Anyway, I was in a bit of a pickle as I needed to drive home and put sealant above the bush, it seems to have stopped the leak so far.

I'm leaving the lower engine cover off to keep an eye on things

20150504_184350_HDR_zpsef3j8s2k.jpg

So far so good

Cheers

Josh
If you've got a leak coming from that bush and not the selector, you've got some issues mate. There's nowhere for the oil to leak from as it's just a recess that the bush sits in.

If you've got a leak coming from that bush and not the selector, you've got some issues mate. There's nowhere for the oil to leak from as it's just a recess that the bush sits in.[/QUOTE

Yeap I realised that afterwards. No issues, it's just oil seaping from the casing. It's a car that sat on a driveway for 2 years, a lot of dosed seals etc. I will just top it up, less I spend on it the better!

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
I have one of these to fit soon, so not a perfect fix then?

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
It just holds two O-rings in place to act as a new seal. How well you fit it and the quality of the rubber o-rings will decide how well it works.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
If you've got a leak coming from that bush and not the selector, you've got some issues mate. There's nowhere for the oil to leak from as it's just a recess that the bush sits in.

Do you know if that part, if it's worn, could lead to a wobbly gearstick? My ball and socket seemed fairly loose and i've got some awful side to side movements with th egearstick and thats with a yanoo stiff shift, new aprts etc :(

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Do you know if that part, if it's worn, could lead to a wobbly gearstick? My ball and socket seemed fairly loose and i've got some awful side to side movements with th egearstick and thats with a yanoo stiff shift, new aprts etc 😧
Yeah that will definitely cause the gearstick to feel sloppy mate, but it won't cause the side to side movement. It could be the bush in the arm itself.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Here you go mate! View attachment 128164View attachment 128165 This fixes on to this:View attachment 128166and is hidden by this:View attachment 128167Your bush may well be knackered after all though!! I've just checked mine and it has play. Yet more parts to order from Renault!! Lol
Early type gear linkage alert. Let me know how you get on as mine has a little play due to being bone dry of grease. Later type linkage is noticeably different and the boot uses a cable tie. Couldn't figure out what I needed and got bored!