ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Leaking cv boot

Clio 172 cup
Hi all, my first post. I was changing my disc's and pad's today turned into a bit of a mare and the calipers and mounts had to be swapped as well but I digress. When changing one side I noticed that the ring on the cv boot has come off and emptied its grease pretty much everywhere. assuming I can't reuse the metal band that has come off could I just repack the boot with grease and fit a large jubilee clip to retain it or would a less bodgie fix be recommended?

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Mini x 2
You may be able to reuse the old clip, depends on the condition really. Failing that a jubilee clip will be fine.

Why on earth did you have to swap the calipers?

Clio 172 cup
I'll give the jubilee clip method a go then but also try to salvage the old retaining clip, I don't fancy changing the whole boot if it isn't necessary. I had to change the calipers as the ones on there were corroded to s**t, the pistons just wouldn't move back enough to get them over the new pads, also the slide pin things on one side were seized. Thankfully I had already purchased a second set of powder coated caliper earlier in the year so I wasn't completely buggered. I'll try to post a photo of the condition of the discs they were truly shocking I've only had the car 3 months Christ knows how it got through an mot earlier this year

Clio 172 cup
image.jpg

If the boot isn't split and the cv joint is ok then just re pack with cv grease and new boot clip/jubilee clip. Had exactly the same on mine, new grease & clip been fine ever since.