ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Leak is back

Not a Clio at the moment!
Im so fed up. My car has its nasty pool of water again in the pasenger carpet...obviously sealing the holes near the boot didnt work :mad: wish i could tip the car upside down and drain the water out. Its frustrated and upset me.

I rang the guy up...again...who sold me the car but he has not returned my call :nono:

Renault Sport Clio 182
my girlfriends 1.6 done the same, took me a week or so to dry and clean and get rid of the smell, i have no idea where its comeing from, my only guess is the windscreen becuase its gets misty and freezez on the inside when its frosty.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Im so fed up. My car has its nasty pool of water again in the pasenger carpet...obviously sealing the holes near the boot didnt work :mad: wish i could tip the car upside down and drain the water out. Its frustrated and upset me.

I rang the guy up...again...who sold me the car but he has not returned my call :nono:

Why?

Sold as seen.

Why?

Sold as seen.

Sorry but brought it in the freezing snow. Sold as seen is a bit harsh when 2 days later and the snow melted and the car was flooded.

You are harsh and if this had been you, Im sure you would have contacted the person you brought it off.

I think i read somewhere it might be something to do with the aircon. Ill have a wee look.
Hi, my car has no air con. They checked the scuttle and that was clear, sealed up bung holes in the rear of car...no joy...the passenger floor, especially right under the drivers seat is flooded. Not too sure if its rain or driving in the rain??

ALBI 197 Sonic MKII
I don't really know what you'd expect the previous owner to do anyway?

The most helpful thing I can tell you is we have an ultrasonic device at our bodyshop which is used to find the source of water leaks. 9 times out of 10, it works. You should ask around your local bodyshops and see if any have one. It'll save you countless hours / days / weeks.

The most helpful thing I can tell you is we have an ultrasonic device at our bodyshop which is used to find the source of water leaks. 9 times out of 10, it works. You should ask around your local bodyshops and see if any have one. It'll save you countless hours / days / weeks.

Could use newspaper around the door shuts and around the dash to see where it stems from.

Oil Burner
The door seal is where mine leaks, on the plastic trip on the sill i can normally see the mark where its running in. But its never been enough to worry about on mine. I also understand its a very common issue.

Nissan 350z

Agree. It sounds like OP is getting his work done by some local mechanic on the cheap perhaps? Reading the last topic by OP they tested for the leak by someone sitting inside and him pouring water over the car with a hose pipe. Practical but not the most reliable approach.

Hi, well he was a trader not private so I would have hoped that if the car has an immediate fault then they should surely help me fix it?! I know its different with cars but if I brought something from a shop which was faulty then I would expect a replacement or for it to be fixed. Ive only had the car just over 3 weeks and its been a wet pool constantly from 3 days after I had it when the freezing weather went and the rain kicked in.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
I'd have took it back the very first time it did it, have you contacted the trader?

It was a guy who is a trader - he trades from his home and deals with a garage, but he is a registered car trader - my receipt has his trading name on.

Anyhow, when I found the leak 3 days after I purchased the car, I mopped it all up myself and hoped it was just lots of snow that may have fallen in..so I didnt contact him until a week later (i'd had the car about 10 days by then). He was OK and checked the car out - poured a hose over, that sort of thing. Told me he'd found the leak and sealed up my rear bungs - or whatever they are. Told me, that once sealed they'd hosed it and no water was coming in. Sorted...or not, (this was Monday). By yesterday, my car was a swimming pool again, and since overnight, its got a massive puddle sitting ontop of my passenger carpet towards the back all the way to the front.

I'm so fed up, I have contacted Renault who are going to do a diagnostics on where the leak is next Friday. They told me I must be carful of the water as it could upset the electerics. So Im gonna be spending all wkend towelling up the water.

Bubbles

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW I4 M50
if I brought something from a shop which was faulty then I would expect a replacement or for it to be fixed.

If bought brand new yes... but if you bought it from a charity shop, 2nd hand.. you couldnt take it back because it had a fault?

If bought brand new yes... but if you bought it from a charity shop, 2nd hand.. you couldnt take it back because it had a fault?
Ok..so even if we purchase a car - from a garage / trader then there is absolutely no resopnsibility for anything major unless we buy a brand new car off them?

Surely not??

Bubbles

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW I4 M50
No im not saying that.. but i could understand if they did only a little to help.

Back when i was 18 and bought a 1.4Rt, i put it into a garage to have some work done on it (not long after we bought it) and it turned out it was a cut and shut.. they took that back very quickly, full refund, thankyou very much..

Some garages offer a 1/2 month warrenty with their cars, did they offer anything like that?

No im not saying that.. but i could understand if they did only a little to help.

Back when i was 18 and bought a 1.4Rt, i put it into a garage to have some work done on it (not long after we bought it) and it turned out it was a cut and shut.. they took that back very quickly, full refund, thankyou very much..

Some garages offer a 1/2 month warrenty with their cars, did they offer anything like that?

Fraid not...guess that means their under no obligation to deal with the problem? :dapprove: Anyhow, I'm getting Renault to check it out and tell me whats causing it. I cant keeping having this guy ripping my interior in and out. Just hope its not a big issue as it could end up costing me hundreds no doubt

these can be really irritating to trace but, if you're determined, you'll find it. if you can't identify it from the usual suspects (door seals, door skins, window seals, sill drains, floor/bulkhead grommets, etc), i'd take the carpet/underlay out so that you can see as it forms

the airbag ECU is bolted to the floor under the centre console and you defo want to keep that dry (although i think it's mounted on the exhaust tunnel, so not actually at 'floor level' anyway)

it should be easy to fix once you've found it and there's loads you can do to try and trace it. eg. are the seat belts damp, out of the reel? that'd suggest window seals

these can be really irritating to trace but, if you're determined, you'll find it. if you can't identify it from the usual suspects (door seals, door skins, window seals, sill drains, floor/bulkhead grommets, etc), i'd take the carpet/underlay out so that you can see as it forms

the airbag ECU is bolted to the floor under the centre console and you defo want to keep that dry (although i think it's mounted on the exhaust tunnel, so not actually at 'floor level' anyway)

it should be easy to fix once you've found it and there's loads you can do to try and trace it. eg. are the seat belts damp, out of the reel? that'd suggest window seals
Hi, the seatbelts are dry, the scuttle has been checked, the rear of the car checked - no damp under the seat, or tyrewell etc. Sills look "ok" and seals around the passenger door look fine so I think, your suggestion of taking the carpet out to check will be my first port of call tomorrow. I have to get the passenger seat out first as I dont want to rip the carpet - do you think this is a hard job?

i've not had the seats out, so don't know - although don't think it's a biggie

it's a one piece carpet, so the driver's would have to come out as well unless you're just going to be folding it back

hope you can sort it quickly anyway

Cheers,

Actually...bit of good news (for once!!) the guy whom sold me the car has phoned me back :D Im just so pleased. Instead of him trying to locate the leak Im still gonna get Renault to find it and if its gonna cost to put right then the guy whom I brought it from will fix it for me.

Ok...soaking up the water tomorrow wont be so bad after all...this was a real worry but hopefully in a week my problems will be a leak less......

Renault Sport Clio 182
Hopefully u will get sorted, the other clio stinks but its goin away, still unsure where our leak is on the 1.6 but its not the heater matrix, the sunroof rattles loads, so might look at that when the weathers better

Hopefully u will get sorted, the other clio stinks but its goin away, still unsure where our leak is on the 1.6 but its not the heater matrix, the sunroof rattles loads, so might look at that when the weathers better
Yeah, heres hoping. I hope mine dont start stinking...suppose its the after effects of the wet...nice.

I'll post pack on this thread, next Friday, where the leak is coming from...it can only help others

Black Gold Trophy
have a quick look under the car, there are two rubber bungs which keep the seat bolts dry, if one of those is missing water could quite easily get in the passenger footwell.

If its the heater matrix leaking, it'll be easy to spot, you may notice your coolant level dropping to start with!

It's very basic though, a bit like roll in flour and look for the wet bits! lol

Hi All,

Sad news on the leak front...Renault have done their basic checks and cant find it?! Apparently I'll need to take it in for more diagnostics for the bargain price of "3 hours labour and £308.43 inc" :eek: So basically half a grand just to locate the problem...

So, I phoned the guy who sold it to me (again) as he said it wasnt wet when I brought it (ho ho..it was 5" of snow...) and this is what I have decided. He will help me take out the passenger seat and lift the carpet (Im a woman, bear with me..) and then I will dry it out and hope for more rain :S so I can then see where the water is coming through from. Goota beat Renault price surely??

Gotta go at mo as all the soggy towels need washing...........:mad:

Nissan 350z
Please just stop already! I refer you to the post on the 1st page of your thread:

300 quid just to diagnose the problem. That is just robbery.

Exactly...suppose its stripping the interior etc...wouldnt mid but have only had the car under 5 weeks and the leaks been going on 3 days after I purchsed it!

However, have rung a bodyshop (who have never heard of an untrasonic devise) and they will take a look tomorrow afternoon...fingers crossed

honda integra/clio
i read you dont have a sunroof a few posts back.... tho it seems to be the problem with renaults. my girls clio was leaking real bad through the sun roof and was running into the passanger footwell.
the sealant they use isnt very good. it was very thin and obviously wasnt working properly..

bad workman ship i say

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I could fix this in about 5 hours.

Strip the whole interior out. Seats/Carpets/sound proofing the lot. (Apart from the door rubbers) Wet vac the lot sucking out most of the moisture and put them on/over/near the radiator to dry them completely. Preferably for 48 hours or so. The slightest bit of damp and your car will steam up in no time.

Dry the car out completely (portable electric heater and the cars heater will do this in less than an hour)

Sit in the car with as many hose pipes gaffa taped to the roof as you can get. Get a friend to switch on the water.

Find leak.

Fix leak.

Re-assemble.

I'd be very surprised if he pays that bill. You'll pay it and then spend years chasing him for it.

Do as Dan says and put a bit of effort in. You'll fix it no problem.

Oh and it's BOUGHT!!!!

Hi all,

Its a good job I did go to a bodyshop. I got told it looks like my car has been in a bad accident - showed me where panels looked out of alighnment - welding joins in the boot etc. He advised to get an independant inspection of the car and get money back from owner.
So I have taken legal advise an am gonna ask him first to take the car back. If he refuses, I'll have to get an Independant Inspection done, then go to solicitors as I'll also try to claim back the above costs plus what I paid for the car. The bodyshop guy was certain about the car - he said looks like its taken a massive impact from the back.

Not so happy days ahead..