ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Laptop Overheating

Mondeo STTDCI
I have a Compaq Presario C700 Laptop that is out of warranty.

Cost about £500 maybe 3 years back.

It has an issue with overheating. The fan was going mental and the heatsink was boiling. Then it cut out.
So I decided to get some compressed air to blow out the various bits and bobs. Now for some reason the fan doesnt spin AT ALL and it gets very hot and dies very quickly.

What are my options for repair?

I dont think PC World will want to know, nor Compaq? I cant be asked with pulling it apart myself. Local shop? Its just I dont trust any local computer shops...?

Ideas?

Google the model name and you might find people with similar problems.

Taking them apart is never as easy as on a desktop. aaronc on here has a laptop repair business, he'll help you out.

But.. a 3 year old laptop that cost £500.. I'm surprised it even still moves! Lol.

Mondeo STTDCI
Yeah yeah I am considering a MacBook Pro.

Its not used and abused as a laptop, just at home. Its good enough for what we need (browsing, iTunes, documents and photos) so I couldnt justify the expense. But this is the second time somethings gone wrong (CD Drive & overheating the first time but that was within the first year so Compaq/HP or whoever sorted it).

I will eventually get a MBP but I need to retrieve all the holiday snaps and baby snaps and stuff thats on there. Ideally i would like to keep it running for Her indoors to use TBH!

Mondeo STTDCI
It will turn on, and I can get it running but it overheats and cuts within a few minutes as the internal fan has stopped spinning...caught on debris or f**ked by compressed air I'd guess.

So i can run it, but only with a desktop fan placed on it lol.

I suspect I could run it with just a laptop cooling pad but she wont be happy using the clapped out laptop so i need it "fixed" at least really.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
compaq-presario-c713tu-notebook-pc.jpg

+

garbage%20can_RGB.jpg

/

photo_bluewater.jpg

-

20notes.jpg

=

desktop_mcotm_08_01.jpg

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
i've been using mine since 7am.

jsut down to 20% battery.

albeit not using it constantly.. but i have been doing a lot of YT/itunes/iphoto editing and general surfing.

Mondeo STTDCI
Yeah I have previously seen the refurbed ones, whats the score with them? Im guessing Apple have given them the once over after a few faults or whatever and they really are like new.

Is the warranty the same?

I even went to order a new one yesterday...what software options should I be ticking?

iWork is that needed? Know sweet FA on Macs TBH.

And I still need a hand getting the laptop fixed!

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
you don't need any software when you buy it.

Just download open office. it is free and is compatible with MS office etc. That is what i use when i need to stuff for work at home.

on the link it says 1 year apple warranty. same as standard iirc.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
as for your laptop, only advice is take it to a shop i guess.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
that is a s**t load of strippers putting one in the stink and one in the pink iirc.

DCi
have you got a desktop in the house? you could possibly take the hard drive out and stick it in another PC to get your stuff like photos off etc.

maybe a mate you trust that could do this for you?

then go buy your MBP and a external hard disk for backups :rasp:

Mondeo STTDCI
I've managed to run it long enough to get photos onto a Memory stick.

Now I just refuse to burn a perfectly good (almost) laptop.

ITB BG 182
Compressed air, you have most prob broken some of the bearings an it now is not able to spin but keeps trying because it has power to do so.
Find a maplins store as they are usually good or the only other option is PC World dare i say that after today, as they do a package for have ya pants down and f**k you roar at £229 which will cover all labour and any parts needed no matter how much it needs doing.