ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lambda Sensor

MK2 172 FF
I suspect that mine is fault on my 172. I was thinking about swapping the front and back around to see if there is a difference in MPG and performance. I have read that this is ok to do but have also read that the looms are slightly different in lengths.
So is the down stream shorter than the up stream or the other way round?
I can see the downstream one under the car and suspect that the upstream is over behind the back of the engine. Does anyone have any pics of it?
Spanner/Socket sizes?

thanks

MK2 172 FF
Are they easy to get to?
I think im going to swap them round and see if there is a difference. If there is i think i may be in touch for a replacement one NW

Da

Less
The upstream one is a painto get to, without a ramp - but it is do-able.
I find unplugging the connector the hardest part :(

Da

Less
'No comment' :eek:

I still can't understand why renault decided to secure it to the beam? :S

Da

Less
Bottom, you'll never get access to it from above mate you can barely see it.

MK2 172 FF
If you were looking from the top down is it on the right hand side of the manifold or am i thinking of something else?

I think i may need to buy some axle stands now lol

Da

Less
From memory I think it's the right hand side (passengers) but couldn't be 100% on that.

Yeah axle stands are very handy ;)

Various
Its not a night nightmare just can be tricky to do on the floor. Not really anything you can break easily apart from the clip that is on the loom. Just dont push it up to much when your removing it.

MK2 172 FF
Garage will swap them over for a tenner

Chris, i bought this car as a fix-er-uper so have done everything else myself so am determind to keep doing everything else aswell. If i get stuck i may give in and get a garage to do it. Just don't want to fcuk anything else up whilst im at it.

Still would have thought that the RS Tuner would have shown a fault code for the lambda though

Fabia vrs tdi
I bought a new sensor from NW was getting extremely bad mpg and I think it's improved now, too early to tell.

it might be very difficult getting the thing off if it's never been replaced

MK2 172 FF
What was your MPG vs. Driving Style Chris?

I want to replace mine as Henk has suggested i do as the map i loaded from him makes the car misfire and judder so he suggested the O2 Sensor (Upstream)

Fabia vrs tdi
I drive it enthausiastly all the time, and I was getting as low as 15mpg.

I have just put a full tank of v power in I was using 95ron so won't know my exact mpg until I have got through a couple of tanks of vpower, so far it's around 23mpg but it's all city driving and traffic lights every 100 yards or less.

My gf drives like an old lady and she gets better mpg, I should really change my driving style and look up tips on eco driving as it's costing me a fortune to run.

What's your mpg like with the remap? After my mot I think I'll leave my cat on and sell the decat.

MK2 172 FF
Without the remap i get 27/28 driving hard and about 32 if i drive like a grandad
The car ran shockingly with the remap so took it off, Henk suggested it was the 1st lambda sensor thats fcuked so was going to replace that and then try the map again.

Da

Less
My cammed 182 gets low 20's enthusiastically. On a motorway I can still get mid 40's out of it :)

Fabia vrs tdi
Mid 40s fancy swapping cars? With my broke sensor I was getting around 35mpg sitting at 80mph

I'm hoping with the new sensor it will be at least 40mpg on a long trip.

I swapped my rear sensor for the front but it didn't last long, read on here somewhere you can clean it with vinager but I just bought a new one, wish I did it ages ago.

Is there much difference in performance with the remap? My car is terrible when idle it coughs and splutters at me.

MK2 172 FF
There is a noticeable performance difference with the RS Tuner, however, its nothing major. People say that it improves driveability which i didnt really understand until i swapped between the maps (standard and remap) and the car is much more useable with the remap on.

koi

Audi S1
These sensors that much of a nightmare to change?

RS tuner showing faulty front lambda sensor but car is driving fine, was going to swap them round to see if it makes a difference.

MK2 172 FF
which sensor is it showing? the upstream (front) or the downstream (rear - after cat). they are 22mm iirc, mine came out really easy after 89k but im sure there will be some that are a pig to change.
Normally if the rear one is faulty then this will show a light but not effect the running of the car

koi

Audi S1
which sensor is it showing? the upstream (front) or the downstream (rear - after cat). they are 22mm iirc, mine came out really easy after 89k but im sure there will be some that are a pig to change.
Normally if the rear one is faulty then this will show a light but not effect the running of the car

RS tuner says 'front' so guessing upstream, drives fine though and no lights on the dash.

Had a bash at swapping them around but they are stuck fast and Halfords had no breaker bars in stock :mad: