ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lacquer not going to plan!

Iceberg Ph1
Hey people a little advice if you may.. I been doing some spraying recently on a few parts, badges etc and for the past few days when lacquering its started to produce the 'orange peel' effect, not happy, since this has never happened before and its getting on my nerves!

I been using the same halfrauds lacquer on most things and its been fine but the last few tins I have used this is started to happen, can't be down to a dodgy batch as I have tried 2 different cans :mad:

What causes this?

I'm no pro at spraying but I am no n00b either and this hasn't happened before, any pointers please, only thing I can think of is that its been rather cold recently and my cans may have gotten too cold and causing this? Possible? :approve:

Many thanks

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
My technique may not be refined, but my answer to this is.......

Put thicker coats on, I can't seem to get smooth effect with thin coats no matter how hard I try, keep spraying and it starts to look all wet, glassy and smooth, but when this happens STOP straight away! Too much, and it'll run, I find its a fine line, but there is a line!

Other than this, I'd love to know the answer to your problem!! Maybe wet flatting with something like a 2.5k or 3k paper so the surface is totally smooth?

Artic 182
Reeeaaaalllly bad weather for spraying. Get in the shed or garage with a few heaters going

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Even in a warm garage (electric heater) i get an orange peel'ish affect if i dont apply enough lacquer, is there anything to stop this though?? I feel like it'd be easier to apply several thin coats, but never wanna risk getting it looking shite

330i. E30 Touring.
Much to cold for spraying, really.

Get the cans inside, at room temp for a few hours. Make sure where your spraying is nice and warm.

I always use as thick a coat as I can before it runs. Always works well enough for me.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Don't worry I havent been spraying lately, only in nice warm environments, this was a few weeks ago, I ended up with orange peel and had to re-do. I'm glad its not just me who needs to do as thick coats as possible without it running :)

Cheers matey

Never above 25mpg
I usually do spraying cold or warm, doesn't affect me. It's the preparation and technique of how the rattle cans are applied imo.

Although not denying it's probably better to do spraying in a warm environment.

iceberg 172
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_peel_(effect)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
Orange peel is a certain kind of finish that may develop on painted and cast surfaces.[1] The texture resembles the bumpy surface of the skin of an orange (fruit) hence the name.
Gloss paint sprayed on a smooth surface (such as the body of a car) should also dry into a smooth surface. However, various factors can cause it to dry into a bumpy surface resembling the texture of an orange peel. The orange peel phenomenon can then be smoothed out with ultra-fine sandpaper, but it can be prevented altogether by changing the painting technique or the materials used. Orange peel is typically the result of improper painting technique, and is caused by the quick evaporation of thinner, incorrect spray gun setup (e.g., low air pressure or incorrect nozzle), spraying the paint at an angle other than perpendicular, or applying excessive paint.
In some situations, such as interior house paint, the orange peel texture is generally desirable. In this case, a texture paint is generally applied with a spray gun. The texture is then painted over with the appropriate color. When painting walls, orange peel can also develop by using a roller with too little paint or too thick a paint and the surface dries before the texture can level.

Last edited:
  iceberg 172
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_peel_(effect)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
Orange peel is a certain kind of finish that may develop on painted and cast surfaces.[1] The texture resembles the bumpy surface of the skin of an orange (fruit) hence the name.
Gloss paint sprayed on a smooth surface (such as the body of a car) should also dry into a smooth surface. However, various factors can cause it to dry into a bumpy surface resembling the texture of an orange peel. The orange peel phenomenon can then be smoothed out with ultra-fine sandpaper, but it can be prevented altogether by changing the painting technique or the materials used. Orange peel is typically the result of improper painting technique, and is caused by the quick evaporation of thinner, incorrect spray gun setup (e.g., low air pressure or incorrect nozzle), spraying the paint at an angle other than perpendicular, or applying excessive paint.
In some situations, such as interior house paint, the orange peel texture is generally desirable. In this case, a texture paint is generally applied with a spray gun. The texture is then painted over with the appropriate color. When painting walls, orange peel can also develop by using a roller with too little paint or too thick a paint and the surface dries before the texture can level.

just flat it down with 2000grit wet and dry and polish up with compound

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
A polishing compound I assume not a rubbing compound?

I've used rubbing compound before and it seems to make things very matte, never used polishing compound though, what effect does this have?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I already have a tin of rubbing compound, (I'll get a pic tmrw) i've used it on some imperfections in body work before and it leaves it very flat and non shiny? Is it just a case of getting some srp on it after that or am i missing the trick somewhere?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Thanks for the info mate, just think I need to be more confident....

I've always been REALLY impressed with the results of rubbing compound, especially on alloys, but i've been to scared to use it on body work since making a small section of mine very hazy with it!

I'm gonna give it a go a bit on saturday and see how it goes on some bits.

Mustang, S13, AX GT
If you warm the rattle can of paint up in some hot water for about 2 mins before you paint it seems to go on the surface a lot better, its worked for me before and i've not had the orange peel effect.