ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

KTR Uprated Engine Mounts - Lots of vibration

Evoque, A3 Cab, 182
Hello

I have just picked my car up from the garage and have to say, Im pretty disappointed.

She went in for upper engine and gearbox engine mounts - after speaking with K-Tec they said changing these mounts would be one thing which would improve the feel and sharpness of the car.

Done approx 10 miles in her, and the vibration coming through the steering wheel, the gear stick, the foot pedals, and now the dash board, is noticeably increased.

I also had a new exhaust fitted, the KTR / Janspeed 182 sports SS exhaust. This is supposed to be the quietest exhaust they had, and I have to say, its not that bad int he cabin.

I took the car back to the garage, just to make sure the exhaust wasnt touching, and causing vibration, after a quick check under the body work - can cofnirm all is good.

So I asked the guys if upgraded mount would cause this much vibration, and they werent really sure, but said yes - good chance.

So my question is - do they cause increased vibration for sure ?

If so - I might go back to the OEM mounts, as I dont like the change.

They also have done nothing to improve the feel of the car, not that I can notice anyway. Have you guys noticed much improvement in the handling with these mounts?

Any advice welcome

I think she needs to go back, and get the old mounts put back on....

Evoque, A3 Cab, 182
Im not sure mate, heres the description;

Following testing on several cars we are now able to offer our 2 uprated engine mounts for fitment to all Clio 172 and 182 models. The mounts available are the main upper engine mount as well as the upper gearbox mount, which sits under the battery. By fitting these 2 mounts we have noticed a vast reduction in engine movement without creating any extra vibration through the car. One of the very common weak points on the Clio Sport models is the engine mounts and with these fitted there is no more manifold or cat pipes banging on the subframe which is all too common. If fitting these it is also a good idea to fit the poly bush kit we have available for the dog bone mount. The lower gearbox mount is not replaced as this is mainly a support mount.

Evoque, A3 Cab, 182
I can still feel the vibration ringing in my arms 20 mins after getting back!

Oh dear, what have I done.... :(

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
I dont know how they would improve handling? They improve things by reducing engine movement.

i have them and there is quite a lot of vibration, but i can live with that - they all rattle anyway!

Dodgy one
I can honestly say as i have these fitted with a poly dogbone mount too, That theres next to no increase in vibration in my car and ive had them on two years now, then engine doesnt budge and the gearchange was a lot better from it all too.

Slacken the top engine mount off give the engine a wiggle and nip it back up again.

I can honestly say as i have these fitted with a poly dogbone mount too, That theres next to no increase in vibration in my car and ive had them on two years now, then engine doesnt budge and the gearchange was a lot better from it all too.

Slacken the top engine mount off give the engine a wiggle and nip it back up again.

I had the exact same experience when i had them, they do make the car feel awesome though :)

Evoque, A3 Cab, 182
Thanks guys

So I can go back to the garage and ask them to slacken the top engine mount off slightly?

And as for them being fitted badly - How should I approach the garage with this info, I mean, is there really more than one way to fit these mounts???

Right now, I feel like getting them taken out and swapped for OEM mounts.

And yes, K-Tec said these would improve the feel and drive-ability of the car - I asked them what one thing they would do to tighten the feel and steering up, they said change these mounts... ?

172 Cup
I have these, if fitted properly, they do not cause extra vibration when on the move.

But they do increase vibration at idle and when sitting at traffic lights they can be unpleasant.

I am used to them now, but after driving the works van, it feels a bit overkill.

If i was doing it again, i would just fit oem mounts to a road car.

Exhausts that are too loud and cars that vibrate too much make a daily far worse.

Renault got it almost spot on with the factory car.

If you don't like them, just refit your original mounts and sell them on.

I have these fitted and theres hardly any increase in vibration along with the dog bone mount, but as said they need to be done correctly, there is a thread somewhere about this I'm sure, for your rd car i'd say standard new engine mounts and a dog bone pollybush kit would be better option.

Regards Russ.............

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
Me and a mate fitted these to mine on my driveway and they felt almost exactly the same as the oem mounts,
the only difference is it reduced engine movement so throttle response was slightly improved,
and it stopped the manifold knocking on the heat shield under acceleration.

Tbh I really can't see how the can be fitted wrong, (even though I know they can be)
you just take the old ones off and bolt the new ones on.

I got zero increase in vibration on mine.

Evoque, A3 Cab, 182
Thank you.

Thats pretty much how it is.

At idle, the car feels/sounds terrible.

When on the move, not so noticeable.

Exactly how I feel on the exhaust issue too, hence going for the quietest exhaust I could get.

I think sticking the old OEM mounts back on is the firs thing to do. And sell the KTR mounts on ebay or something - unless K-Tec will take them back, as their web description is very misleading.

Thank you,

Evoque, A3 Cab, 182
PS can someone please give me a link to buy some new standard OEM engine mounts?

I need buy the OEM "main upper engine mount as well as the upper gearbox mount"

Im not sure Im looking at the right thing on the Renault parts website?

Thank you in advance

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
I've got these too.. Once going there much better than OEM mounts but on idle the vibration is pretty bad. Gear selection is much improved Supposedly I've got the new k-tec race mounts (not the orange metal mount just the rubber part i guess)even tho there harder. Definitely wouldn't have them on a road car. As others have said just go for the poly bushed dog mount.

Megane r26
I had these on my old 172, were fine tbh. A little more vibration at idle then standard but hardly noticeable. Only bad when fitted incorrectly.

LY Megane R26
I've got a set on my car and again I barely notice any vibrations apart from a little noisier on idle but even then it's not even that bad.

Are the mounts brand new? Cause I'm sure they will make a bit more noise to start with, when I fitted a brand new set on a previous car they made a right racket, but quietened down a bit as they bedded in. So they may improve a bit more as you drive.

Evoque, A3 Cab, 182
I've got a set on my car and again I barely notice any vibrations apart from a little noisier on idle but even then it's not even that bad.

Are the mounts brand new? Cause I'm sure they will make a bit more noise to start with, when I fitted a brand new set on a previous car they made a right racket, but quietened down a bit as they bedded in. So they may improve a bit more as you drive.

Brand new Chris - they may well bed down a bit, but right now, I couldn't put up with the levels of vibration. Maybe they hadn't been fitted correctly, but I doubt there is much room for error when fitting from what people have said?

If someone can explain to me how they could have been fitted badly, I.e exactly what might have been done incorrectly, that would be helpful.

Thank you

Twingo Gordini RS133
If you fitted and fully tightened the engine mount which has a little bit of leway for side to side adjustment, then went on to fit the gearbox mount but needed to stress it sideways to get the bolts in, you would be unnecessarily compressing the rubber.

Loosely fit them both and then tighten up when they are unstressed.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
As most have said, correct fitting is important. You just have to make sure they're not under tension

Clio182
Loosen the mounts, let it idle for a bit and let the engine find its natural spot... then tighten them to spec.

Clio Sport 172
if you changed all the mounts to uprated then obviously the engine is a moving part which your then stiffening up, soooooo the vibration is sent into the cabin.

if you just changed say the dog leg, the whole car should feel terrible as standard renault mounts are worse than crap, so it should vibrate even more.

unless its a mental track day clio which is fully stripped and you dont give a sh*t about then just buy some brand new renault mounts and stop thinking that ur mario andretti!!!!!! lol its a clio not an evo. simples!
Hello

I have just picked my car up from the garage and have to say, Im pretty disappointed.

She went in for upper engine and gearbox engine mounts - after speaking with K-Tec they said changing these mounts would be one thing which would improve the feel and sharpness of the car.

Done approx 10 miles in her, and the vibration coming through the steering wheel, the gear stick, the foot pedals, and now the dash board, is noticeably increased.

I also had a new exhaust fitted, the KTR / Janspeed 182 sports SS exhaust. This is supposed to be the quietest exhaust they had, and I have to say, its not that bad int he cabin.

I took the car back to the garage, just to make sure the exhaust wasnt touching, and causing vibration, after a quick check under the body work - can cofnirm all is good.

So I asked the guys if upgraded mount would cause this much vibration, and they werent really sure, but said yes - good chance.

So my question is - do they cause increased vibration for sure ?

If so - I might go back to the OEM mounts, as I dont like the change.

They also have done nothing to improve the feel of the car, not that I can notice anyway. Have you guys noticed much improvement in the handling with these mounts?

Any advice welcome

I think she needs to go back, and get the old mounts put back on....

Evoque, A3 Cab, 182
Well, taken all your advice and been back into the garage today.

The guy was quite clued up, and said he had found the perfect spot, or so he thought, and the vibration was to be expected.

We gave it another go, loosened off the engine mounts, let the engine idle and settle, still no good, then we tried moving her around into various spots, and we did improve it a tiny bit i think, but still getting an awful lot of vibration.

So the upper engine mount is coming off!

He said the gearbox mount wont be causing too much vibration, and to leave that in place for now.

Going to grab some standard OEM mounts.

Thanks for your help!

iceberg 172
You need to slacken the mounts and start the car for 30 seconds give it some small revs let the engine sit were it wants. Tighten back up and they should feal great. I had no extra vibration with mine at all.