ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Knocking Passenger Side

STRBramley

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #404
I'm getting a knocking sound coming from my passenger side when I go over bumps or grates. I assume this means the shock needs replacing?

I'm having trouble finding one. I found this. Is that all I will need to replace the front shock?

Thanks,
STRBramley

clio 182 'full fat'
think this will fit, by ''extreme add on pack'' it means the ''cup pack'' if your 182 hasnt got the cup pack suspension it wont fit as the bolt spacing is different iirc.
and as ^^kibbs says if your not replacing with genuine parts i would too renew both sides as they probably wont match 100%

Last edited:

STRBramley

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #404
Thanks for the info. I was told it has both cup packs. How would I check for the suspension cup pack?

Thanks,
STRBramley

clio 182 'full fat'
theres aguide somewhere on here, usually if its got the anthracite 182 cup alloys but if you measure the gap between the bottom bolt holes . cant remember the correct length but the measurement will tell you what suspension is on it

STRBramley

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #404
Checked today, the spacing is 60mm so ordered the shocks I linked yesterday.
Seem easy enough to fit.

Thanks for the advice and info.
STRBramley

Clio 172
I'd have said it was a ball joint or track rod end. Possibly arb bush, I'd have checked all of these before the shock

STRBramley

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #404
I'd have said it was a ball joint or track rod end. Possibly arb bush, I'd have checked all of these before the shock

The drivers side track rod end was replaced in May for its MOT. How do I check the ball joint and track rods?

The reason I was sure it was the shocks was because my rear shocks were making the exact same knocking sound and replacing them fixed that.

Thanks,
STRBramley

Last edited:
  clio 182 'full fat'
Arb you can rock with your hand or a bar, theres normally i tiny bit of play, shouldnt be excessive tho. to check balljoint jack car up, put a bar under the tyre/wheel and pry up and down. any play in the wishbone balljoint will become visable

STRBramley

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #404
Arb you can rock with your hand or a bar, theres normally i tiny bit of play, shouldnt be excessive tho. to check balljoint jack car up, put a bar under the tyre/wheel and pry up and down. any play in the wishbone balljoint will become visable

Thanks I'll check them tomorrow. If it turns out to be one of these and not the shocks how much would they cost?

STRBramley

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #404
Fitted the front shocks today. Seems much better now but I will test it properly tomorrow.

clio 182 'full fat'
you could have just bought a spanner to fit ;) i had mine off the other week to put the washers in, found a spanner lying about bottom of my toolbox, fitted perfect:)

STRBramley

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #404
Bumping. The front shocks didn't fix the knocking and it seems to be more noticeable now.
The knocking is really loud when turning left and going over a bumpy road surface.

Any ideas what I should check next?

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Top mounts or ball joint. You can replace the ball joint without doing the wishbone, don't envy that job after the pig that my driver's side one was though. It was in a sorry state when I got it off and you can hear it clicking when you move it about with your hand. Perhaps yours is similar.

STRBramley

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #404
Top mounts or ball joint. You can replace the ball joint without doing the wishbone, don't envy that job after the pig that my driver's side one was though. It was in a sorry state when I got it off and you can hear it clicking when you move it about with your hand. Perhaps yours is similar.

Thanks. Might order a ball joint as they are only about £11.
How do I check to see if the top mount is the problem?

Clio 182 cup
Interested in the outcome here. got the same happening. only get a knock if diving off of a small drop, e.g. driveway curb or the like. Also get knocking when turning wheel when not movin. Sorry for dumping my problems on your post.
Hope you get to the bottom of it soon. F*%kin bummer about the shocks.

BTW, The bearings in my top mounts looked and felt pretty Sh*ty when i done my springs last year. But was too far into the job to go get new ones at the time, So i still have them fitted about 7K later.:eek:

Last edited:
  BMW M4; S1000 RR
Top mounts aren't a hard job, especially if you've had the struts off the car recently. As far as checking them... I'm not sure how you'd visually inspect them for wear (unless they were well and truly ruined).

The knocking makes it sound like top mounts, although ball joints can cause this too I believe. Mine was just creaking when steering at low speed sometimes, turns out that was a ball joint and my brand new top mounts seem to make more noise than the old ones lol.

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
mine is doing this just now. and i had it up on my mates ramp and track rods, bushes etc were all fine. and the shocks and springs are newish. sounds like top mounts to me, thats what he reckoned as well. im going for pure motorsport solid ones.

STRBramley

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #404
Received the ball joint today. I haven't looked yet but what do I need to remove? Just the wheel? or do I need to disconnect the shocks?

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Technically you could do it without remove the shocks, I suppose. Depends whether they're a pain to remove or not, it's 4 bolts to remove it (anti rollbar mount, 2 on the wishbone for the balljoint and 1 on the hub).

STRBramley

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #404
Things are not going well. Jacked the car up and put my alloy under the car incase it happens to fall. I was removing a bolt and somehow the car slipped off of the jack and onto the alloy. :dapprove:
So now I'm waiting for a second jack to see what damage has been done to the alloy. If the alloy wasn't there then the car would be on the floor.

STRBramley

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #404
Well things have gone from bad to worse. :( Managed to get ball joint on but the alloy is in a right state.
On top of all this the drive shaft is leaking a gallon of oil so it looks like that's fudged aswel.

Any advice? here is a picture of where the oil is leaking from. Its coming from the rubber that connects to the drive shaft.

You can see the oil in the picture.

6399624539_2319c8e055_b.png

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Honestly don't know matey, did that happen when the ball joint was free? Hard to imagine (even with the shock of a drop) that you'll have pulled the driveshaft out with the hub still on the strut and wishbone..

Worst case would be a new driveshaft I'd have thought which is a bit of money but has it just popped out or is there actually damage?

STRBramley

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #404
Honestly don't know matey, did that happen when the ball joint was free? Hard to imagine (even with the shock of a drop) that you'll have pulled the driveshaft out with the hub still on the strut and wishbone..

Worst case would be a new driveshaft I'd have thought which is a bit of money but has it just popped out or is there actually damage?

Just seems like it popped out. But it seems to pop out far to easy. Popped out and then the oil started leaking and when I got it back on the shock and ball joint it continued to leak.