ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Knocking out hub flange

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Can I just knock out the flange with a socket and hammer?
I'll be welding out the bearings and wanted to save myself a trip to a garage to get them pressed out as wanting to paint the hubs before new bearings go in.

PH2 172
Can I just knock out the flange with a socket and hammer?
I'll be welding out the bearings and wanted to save myself a trip to a garage to get them pressed out as wanting to paint the hubs before new bearings go in.

Better to paint the hubs after the new bearings have been fitted?

renault clio 1.4 16v
well i got a 12 ton bottle jack that i used on a home made press and i needed to extend the poll to push those buggers out... so yea you could do it with a really big hammer... problem is how to keep the hub level, I used a bunch of off cuts, you could do the same. you could also try using a big bench vice if you have one. as for getting the inner race of the bearing off the hub, just cut a slot into it using a grinder ( not all the way through the race) and give it a whack with a hammer and chisel, the race will crack and you can just slide it off.