ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Knocking noise coming from steering wheel - clio mk1

Clio Mk1
Hi everyone,

my poorly clio mk1...

I am getting a repeating knocking noise when driving in a straight line, it dissapears when turning either way. The knocking increases with road speed but not the engine speed and still makes the sound when the clutch is pressed.

Also when i hit it on full lock it makes the same knock/click just once, regardless of if i am moving or not! And there is an occasional '1off' clicking/knocking when turning,

any ideas?

my local 'dodgy' garage said it was the cv joint but apparently you cant get just the cv joint 'for my car' id have to get the whole shaft. He wanted £90 for the shaft an £40 for labour. I told him where to go.

I have pressed my ear against the steering wheel and its is definatly from down there!

Doubt its power steering fluid but il check that when i can be bothered getting out of bed.

your help is much appriciated.

Andy

Clio Mk1
read a lot of artivcles about this and spoke to a few mechanics, they all seem to think it is a driveshaft, but they dont know which side as its only making sounds when straight and to let it get a bit worse until i can determine which side it is.

Would packing the cv joint with a sh1t loada grease be worth a try incase its leaked over time?

As above price is good, although GSF do exchange shafts for £45.....well last time i brought one anyways, although most places won't be happy fitting a part they haven't supplied

Clio Mk1
ye was just gonna say i can get both shafts for a tenner each, but its finding sumwhere to fit it for me. I had enough trouble getting someone to fit my suspension that i bought