ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

knocking from front of 172

Clio 172 ph2
hiya got a knocking at the front end of my car and ita bugging me. it seems to only do it when i first of accelerate and let go of the throttle, and when i change gear and bring the clutch back up if that makes sense, cant seem to point to what it is, if someone could point me in the right direction would be a massive help.

206,172 Cup,focus,X5
How much should u be able to rock the engine back to front ? Are the pretty solid if the rubbers are good

Clio 172 ph2
yeah from underneath the car. top mounts did have play in when i fitted them onto my coilovers. not sure about engine i shall have a look tomorrow, reckon it could be the engine mounts if abit of movement in engine then?

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
Does sound like you need to replace the mounts,
start with the dog bone it's the cheapest, Powerflex bushes are around £40 quid.

Clio 172 ph2
ill stick it on the ramp at work to look at the dog bone tomorrow. will ya be able to move the dogbone for knocking ? or is it a case of just replacing it?

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
Couldn't tell you mate, I just upgraded mine when I knew it was to blame,
it stopped the knocking when lifting on and off the throttle,
then I bought Vibratechnics/K-Tec engine mounts which stopped the excessive engine movement I had.

Clio 172 ph2
cant be the dog bone as its already an uprated one, so surley cant be that. also engine only have a tiny amount of movement when trying to move it. so im stuck now lol

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Usually the front bit of the dog bone goes

or like a mystery Dave's dog bone randomly came lose after we refitted it :/

also so think the 172a came with a front lower box mount ?

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Yeah some had a front lower box mount. The ' fourth mount '
Bolts to the box and then one hole in the subframe for it.

Altho I don't think yours had it when we had the frame off...

I have the same symthoms. Got it on the ramp and my front ARB bushes are shot, but its possible the bushes in the arms are too. eitherway best getting all bushes sorted or uprated. I only have the gearbox mount uprated atm and that was a massive help.

Its going to BTM next week for new powerflex items.

Clio 172 ph2
its got one of these dog bone mounts on, which i think is uprated lol http://i.ebayimg.com/t/gearbox-mount-dogbone-clio-mk2-ph2-1-4-1-6-2-0-172-182-sport-cup-trophy-/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/NTEAAOxyLN9Sm3qv/$_35.JPG

and i replace the front anti roll bar bushes with poly bushed ones a month ago now, since then this knocking has slowly gotten worse