ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

K-tec foam filter...FAIL!

Megane RS 250
A few days ago I removed the airfilter to see if it was dirty...well it was all broken at the two longer side edges and was sagging inside the airbox. I fixed it with metal clips and glue and I'm ordering a paper filter from Renault.
Also, I never found much dirt on it, so I suspect my engine has done the last 40k miles sucking up everything..NOT GOOD!
I'll have pictures when I change it.
Anyone else had a similar experience?

I've had pipercross units do this, the rubber strip comes away tears exposing the edge of the metal frame that supports the foam - is that similar to what you have?

Megane RS 250
Yes, the rubber strips was cutted. I had a K&N cotton filter on the mini for years with no problem at all...and that was filtering dirt, insect etc.
I think I'll stick to paper oem filter from now as I don't remember any cotton filter for the RS and the foam ones seems useless.

ITB'd MK1
You went 40k without checking the filter? I think there was a batch that did this. They'll replace it. You should have spoken to ktec first.

Megane RS 250
No I checked it at the last oil change to clean it up and it was fine (I didn't see if the rubber was already breaking, honestly) but it was clean so I think it doesn't really filter, that's what I mean!
Compared to the K&N I had on the other car or to the usual paper filters that come out of the car a lot dirtier this is alwasy too clean!
I think it broke down in the last 5-10k miles.
That's why I think to go back to a oem filter!

aldo_87

ClioSport Club Member
  Campus 1*2
I rate itg, had two of them and they are good quality. Im sure k-tec will replace though if its manufacturing problem

Megane RS 250
I'd be happy to have a ITG replacement...what's the fastest way to be answered, as I'm in Italy i'd prefer not to call them...

Megane RS 250
If they replace the foam filter with a new one with just pictures of it ok, I'm not sending it back from Italy! If they can send me a ITG, paying the difference, even better.
A new paper filter would cost me 40 euros, a K&N oiled cotton filter 66...so maybe I could buy this last one instead.

I've just brought a Itg panel filter. Seeing this has made me glad I paid the extra, as I nearly went for the k-tec.

I hope you get it sorted out easy enough. Not what you want from a filter that in theory never needs replacing, just cleaning and oiling.

Megane RS 250
You fit a sport filter more for that than for performance, if it's break down it's pretty much meaningless, I agree with you!