ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

just started lumpy idle- not severe

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Realise there is stacks on this issue, as 1*2's or known for it

Point is: on my Y reg 172 having just approaching 92k miles, is its never been noticeable before. In fact i was chuffed at how smooth it was and put it down to my care of it with additives and general maintenance (LOL)

So, always starts first time, every time, come rain/ shine and even in the cold
Up to a couple weeks ago, idled pretty smooth at around 500 rpm. Have had a new ICV 6 months ago, and issues with throttle cable and throttle body all resolved. (Got throttle body rebored)

So why is it just starting to twitch and miss a bit every few seconds at idle (Traffic lights etc)

I am tempted to leave well alone unless it gets worse, but are there any simple measures other than inspect plugs, check leads, look at coil packs, or is it a check injectors, fuel filter etc etc?

500 rpm? Wow, mine never went below 750 on a good day, its normally around 850 to 800 when its warm. But mines been lumpy recently, first thing I did was check sparks, they were pretty much brand new and the correct ngk ones, gave them clean but nothing, then put a new inlet mani gasket and that helped but its still coming back, last couple of days ive had a real bad misfire, its like a diesel subaru now so i think its one of the injectors. Also have an exhaust mount leak between the cat and rear which is quite bad, cars very loud and rough now, but im not sure how that would effect the idle

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
500rpm is quite low, but it seems to work. May creepup to 600 when warm. Dropped a bit when i put the new ICV in

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
LOL. Its fine. I messed around with the ICV on installation, that may be it. But its best not to get fussed bout these things i find (Been like it for 6 months) . But thanks for the help all the same
Even the lumpiness at idle seems to have withered away

Must save on fuel, surely :smile:

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Put a tank of V-Power in, and issues seem to have settled
Revs settle at about 600 tbh, and start around 750rpm- so my original 500 was a little low, unless it was the fuel making the revs drop?

Got a fuel filter on the way just in case- where is fule filter located?

Good ol v power. Cant beat tesco 99 octane devils nectar though, start breathing that in when your filling up for that extra boost

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Good ol v power. Cant beat tesco 99 octane devils nectar though, start breathing that in when your filling up for that extra boost
tried it- my engine seems to have a love affair with V-Power. Noticeable difference even over 99 ron Tesco

RB Clio 182
It should idle around 1200rpm cold and around 750-800rpm once warm, try unclipping each injector one at a time, and if the engine note doesnt change on an injector, then thats the culprit.

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Rechecked mine- and yep, still idling 500rpm when warm, only very odd twitch and engine note sounds pretty good
On start up its about 900 to be fair, which i hadnt noticed

Switched back to V-Power, and replace the fuel filter and leave it at that
Plugs in the summer

It is pretty quick, and am loathe to remap as it may cost and be no better