ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

just got wireless

just got a linksys wireless router

does that mean if my neighbours got wireless cards they could leach onto my wireless connection?

as it didnt ask for any password to set it up it just connected to that available wireless network.

time to do what everyone must do when they get wireless.. go squeeze one out and pick a victim to speak to on MSN while they have no idea what your doing on the other end.. muahahah

you can lock the network once all the required computers are connected to it iirc

got mine connected at the minute, but it's a 108Mbps network, but i'm only getting 54Mbps :(

172 Cup
If you're wireless connection isn't secure then naturally anyone can use it if they have the correct equipment.

Golf GTI 1.8T
I got my internet working on mine fine, but just cant get the bloody things to file share!! grrrr help anyone

A4 Avant & A3
With wireless....if you just switch it all on & find it works, then yes anyone within range can tap into your net connection plus see any shared folders/printers.. etc..
Some things you will want to try & do are:
1. make sure you switch on WPA or WEP whichever your hardware supports.(WPA being the best, follwed by WEP 128bits then WEP 64bit).

2. Also Disable SSID Broadcasting (remember what your wireless ID is.) - that way your neighbours cannot actually see your wireless ID to attach to.

3. You can then go into the Access control part of your wireless router & allow devices by MAC address only, so only your equipment can use your account.

The more of those 3 things you do the better.
There are a hell of alot of unsecured wireless networks around now! (my neighbour included :)
should i print an anonymous naughty piccie to his shared printer?.. Hmmmm lol better not

A4 Avant & A3
Mitchzxr - if file sharing doesn't work, make sure it is enabled on both pc's (i know this may sound obvious but it is soo easy to over look)

Just right click on any drive within winxp and select the Sharing and Security option to set it up.
Do that on both pc's as it may be set up on one & not the other..
Just a first thought

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
you should also change the default network name, default router address (change it from 192.168.0.1) and change the default router admin password.

Golf GTI 1.8T
Norris - I have file shared all my files on the pc and the laptop, what I can't get them to do is connect to the network throught the xp wizards, I am correct in thinking that I can have a network from this laptop through the router to the computer aren't I? The pc is connected via Ethernet.

RB 182
Mitch that's right, have you got them all on the same Workgroup?

When you browse the local workgroup can you see the other machine/s?