ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just changed my plugs..

172 Ph2, Mk1 MX5 1.8
Glad I did too lol..

DSC02935.jpg

Slightly dead I think :p

172 Ph2, Mk1 MX5 1.8
yeh they are all NGK PFR6E-10's, just cylinder 3 and 4 had knackered tips.

Any ideas why only those 2 were shot and cyl 1 and 2 looked reasonably ok ?

Si

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
they look exactly like mine when they were changed. Fred was surprised the car still even running. The pollen filter was even worse.

RSC 182 Cup
Wow.... that's pretty average for a platinum plug! So much for them lasting the widely quoted figure of over 100000km (22000miles - ~35000km)

172 Ph2, Mk1 MX5 1.8
Reasonably, just a matter of taking off the Inlet Plenum and coilpacks to gain access.

I also changed the gasket, but I dont think its a necessity.

Fabia vRS

Si

That's so weird. I changed my plugs the other day and exactly the same thing- the tips on plugs from cylinders 3 and 4 were far more knakered than from 1 and 2. It must be something unique about the F4R engine.

You should have seen the state of my plugs! They had been in for 40K. All the garages who had done work for the previous owners couldn't be bothered to change them during a service cos they had to remove the plenum - lazy b*stards ;)

ValverInBits

Si

cylinders get slightly hotter as they go further from the cambelt due to the direction of coolant flow.

I've read somewhere that aligning spark plug electrodes at the correct angle when you tighten them can give you some small but worthwhile efficiency gains.