ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Jon's Trackday PH1 172 project thread

Si

RS Clio 172
Looking good, Jon! (I think, maybe).

Out of interest, where did you source your spacers from? and how much dollarrr were they?

172, Tiguan
I got them on here mate. I'll eventually buy some better quality ones, but for now these are fine.

Its not revving itself though? Its maintaining a high idle.

Still check it anyway Jon, look on the plastic spindle the cable joins on to (on the TB) and see if you can move it back so the revs drop to a normal level then you'll know.

172, Tiguan
With the original throttle body on I could do that! Would that indicate the cable?

Just to confirm when you come off the throttle it can do three things:

Idle fine
The idle will 'hunt' between 1000 and 1400 rpm
The idle will hold at 2000rpm (this is what it does the majority of the time)

Cheers

I was having problems with mine revving itself between 1-1400rpm. Cleaned throttle body (stopped it sticking at high revs) and new cable from wests renault, easy to fit. But it was still revving it self. Just changed the sensor on the opposite side of to the throttle body (think its map sensor?) and it seemed to of cured it for now :)

Might be worth a shot.

172, Tiguan
Thanks mate. I've tried two maf sensors and that's not changed the way it behaves, so cable and idle valve next I think. Process of elimination I guess.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
my mk1 did something very similar to this! idled around 2k,

turned out it had spat some of the inlet gasket off for some reason!
also might be worth checking the lambda if you have a spare one knocking around!

172, Tiguan
I do have a spare Lambda that I was going to try at some point. It won't be the gaskets, they were all replaced with genuine items when the engine was rebuilt over the winter.

172, Tiguan
Things are slowly coming together in Clio land. I've got a list as long as my fibreglass splintered arm to do before Goodwood, but it's getting there.

First off, I think the idle issue is now hopefully sorted after replacing many, many things. Quite a lengthy thread on it here: http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...ssue-Anyone-got-any-ideas-because-i-m-all-out! if you are interested at all! What came out of it all was that the replacement '100% working' throttle body I bought wasn't. In the end I rebuilt the original after cleaning everything and it now seems ok, though I haven't gone for a drive yet. Fingers crossed.

009c9753.jpg

I ordered a few more bits online to sort out my battery in the boot project which has been in the pipeline for 6 months
lol.gif
. It's all sorted, though they sent the wrong cable 'p' clips to secure the wire so i've cable-tied until the correct ones arrive.

abf17ee2.jpg

9cc3efa4.jpg

As well as saving weight and shifting it backwards, it's left a nice amount of space in the engine bay

31357727.jpg

This will (eventually) allow me to run a straight pipe off of the throttle body and mount the airbox sideways.

Finally for now i've got hold of a Ktec solid(ish) top engine mount. It's reduced the engine movement by a lot. My standard mount was knackered.

556fefd2.jpg

83db2970.jpg

I've had a set of doorcards turn up as well. Drivers side is done, but i've got 3 left to fit, so no pics yet.

Christopher.

South Central-South Coast
ClioSport Area Rep
If its a weekend il be there, live about 5 minutes from Goodwood. Would be nice to have a decent look around a car that is gone the direction I want to take mine :)

172, Tiguan
Ahead of CSS I took a half day today to get things finished off before Goodwood and CSS. We're off to Gaydon tomorrow in the midlands and rather than driving the car there and back and then south again next weekend it's staying there for the week.

I've been refurbing the white wheels over the last few nights. The car has been sitting on an old set of wheels i had knocking around.

bfdf4972.jpg

Whilst the wheels were off I fitted some rear abs rings that have been missing since UB fitted some new rear disks ages ago.

de53fd8a.jpg

Anyway, the wheels

5228e1a9.jpg

5 cans of Capsicum red later:

5166956f.jpg

Floating car to change the lambda sensors

91faf6e5.jpg

Fitted

ee09a8f3.jpg

Next up I got round to finishing the doorcards and tidying interior a bit

5f553bd1.jpg

a2c2f290.jpg

060f103d.jpg

ce6c75d4.jpg

Out came the Fairy Liquid.

d327f67f.jpg

Ready for the next couple of weekends, just needs some fuel. Not used it in a while.

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
absolutely love this jon, did you not give the beemer some fairy liquid loving aswell?

172, Tiguan
Thanks chaps!

Chris, the BM has already been washed this year by the Polish guys. Cba to do that. Mind you even in the rain it stays brown. Lol.

172, Tiguan
This thread is woefully out of date, I apologise. I'm going to attempt to bring things up to date as the car is about to be used for the first time since the end of August last year. I apologise if you've read, or seen any of this elsewhere.

So here we go:

August.

Following CSS I left the car at Tony Hunters for the week as I had a trackday booked at Goodwood the following weekend. It saved me about 600 miles in the car, so I was very grateful to Tony for the help.

I collected the car and drove straight to my parents in Sussex via the Garage where the cage was installed. I hit the M25 at rush hour and slowly melted in the car, I was very glad to finally arrive. The car was given a good going over before the fun commenced the next day. We had a very spirited run down to Goodwood with my friend Jamie in his M3. I love the run down there. It was a great day and the car proved faultless. I did 8 or 9 sessions and as many laps as I could. It knackered both front balljoints, but thats curb hopping for you. Thoroughly enjoyable.

shak-clio2.jpg

[video=vimeo;47464700]http://vimeo.com/47464700[/video]

[video=vimeo;47470839]https://vimeo.com/47470839[/video]

The following day I made a steady 320 mile journey north back home. It's a long way, but it feels twice as far in this car. Luckily headphones and an ipod help.

September to January.

I'll be honest, nothing has really happened. It got a younger brother to keep it company:

EE6452FE-040A-461B-BCB0-FC913EA4B940-11196-000005F5876EAD7A.jpg

Jan 2013

...I think i might tax this next month, so in preperation I thought i'd better tick off a few of the 'to do' things. The last time she saw the road was August last year and at the time it needed a couple of lower ball joints. I've bought a pair and i've also purchased a pair of Cup wishbones that allow for increased amounts of camber. They also came with polybushes already fitted. I won't lie, they're still packed in the box they came in. It's too cold out there to fit that.

I did grab an hour or so last weekend to finally (pending test drive) fix the ABS issue. Originally the new rear disks came without abs rings. I bought a set and fitted them, but they had the wrong number of teeth and it caused loads of issues. The car thought the rear wheels were still travelling faster than they were so the abs was kicking in all the time. UB unplugged the whole lot, so I ran the car at Goodwood without it. It was fine, but the dash was more impressive than Blackpool illuminations. I purchased a new set with the correct 44 teeth and plugged everything back in. Hopefully it'll be fine. The dash is now light free, but the car hasn't moved to trip anything yet.

6D132993-6465-4C82-93BB-BFA104AC15B4-12664-000006FCEF668C56.jpg

In other news, i've been speculating about changing the airbox and the route the air goes into the TB. Since moving the battery into the boot there has been more room in the engine bay to allow for a routing similar to the racecars. After a quick fiddle around it became apparent that it was possible, but the ECU was in the way. After a lot of swearing i've managed to get the ECU out of the way. It now lays flat on the battery tray and is firmly in place.

I've purchased a few different hoses and a new foam filter to try various combinations. I've ended up with what you'll see below and the engine builders on CS seem to think this is now the best i'm going to get a single TB'd car. Apparently the F4r benefits from the longer inlet - and its not getting any longer than this! Plans are on the table to make some sort of heatshield, though there is no urgency. The panel gaps allow much cold air in

It should go and sound better. Again, i've not even started it yet.

Before:

4E84F8FC-0513-4E91-9B37-8227C2933D61-11196-000005F58D2E20FB.jpg

After:

6AD2E181-ABE1-4B62-B249-48657E4A53FC-12664-000006FCF756D729.jpg

More fiddling.

There is a random lump of metal thats attached to the offside chassis leg on the Clio and i've always thought it must've been there for a reason. I remembered to do a bit of reading and eventually found out that its there to dampen vibrations on the standard roadcar. I'm not fussed about that, so I set about removing it.

To get to the bolt holding it on you have to remove the top engine mount. I eventually managed to support the engine using a scissor jack and a lump of wood and removed everything.

CF85CB11-A1C7-4626-A17E-E6027941A6C1-1976-00000114D614B87C.jpg

The small lump of metal weighed about 3kg's, so it was worth the hassle.

Whilst I was there I changed the upper cambelt cover as one of the threads that the engine mount bolts to had stripped itself and it wasn't gripping. I jacked the engine up further and got access to all the bolts. Off it came.

D8233AE2-0978-4CBD-938A-9F0EC4C63D9A-1976-00000114D9DABD35.jpg

It was also a relief to see if was all dry behind there. Regular readers will know why!

I robbed the cover off of the spare engine

F40EA890-8DE6-42C4-B39B-146306AAFEC9-1976-000001154B5E429E.jpg

I've also changed the thermostat and coolant ready for the week ahead. The car is finally going to get a run out again. I'm off to Dan's Thursday to get the Cup wishbones fitted and the suspension sorted + tracking hopefully. Then on Saturday it'll hopefully be at the Surrey rolling road day.

Sorry for the crap update, but it brings the thread up to date.

Cheers

172, Tiguan
Had a good weekend with the car.

Spent some time on Thursday with Dan @ 519. Fitted Cup wishbones (yes, confirmed loads more caster) with Polybushes and also polybushed the front ARB. Adjusted AST top mounts. Sorted out a sensible level of front end camber and alignment! Thanks to Dan for all the hard work.

7726F69D-1652-4D12-8479-420550BA3F45-1420-00000079BFC5BCE2_zps8f94631c.jpg

A497FDEF-DF63-4A16-9F03-62DEC5C54473-1420-00000079C534559F_zps9a489517.jpg

Saturday 9th February. At Surrey Rolling Road, Clio owner nearly faints in shock.

76057271-66E7-48E0-B01C-034023DEC3EC-1420-00000079CE2BF1D3_zps7d48c7d8.jpg

DB722839-B727-4580-80B0-6FD0163DF10A-1420-00000079D33D74A6_zps289e05b9.jpg

172, Tiguan
The phrase pot-luck comes to mind!

Yeah, that's with the homemade induction. Sounds miles better than the old v6 box as well.