ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

JMS RS2 Install Issue - Purchased 172 Kit but have 182 Engine

03 clio sport asc
Hey Guys

I purchased a JMS RS2 Intake Manifold kit recently of the forum, it was brand new but I never realised there was a difference between the 172 and 182 kit / engine.

Issues:

1 - The 172 has a hose that connects to the top of the crank case breather plate - the 182 has the same hose but it connects to the plenum, but my RS2 does not seem to have anywhere for this hose to go, how is this supposed to be fitted? can I just not connect the hose ?

DSC01717.jpg

2 - The bottom left bolt that holds the manifold to the head, I got the bolt tight by hand but how the hell do you get in there to tighten it? does it require the alternator to be removed or am I missing something?

DSC01723.jpg

3 - Coil Pack Mounts - Completely different from 172 to 182, I guess I can make my own so not too much of a issue.

4 - Fuel Rail - Looking at the pictures on Stone Automotive's site it seems there is 2 different manifolds for the 2 different rails but I defiantly have the 172 kit and 182 engine / car but trial fitting looks to be fine, mounts all line up, Can any one explain the difference?

5 - Acoustic Valve on the 182 runs a vacuum line to the original intake manifold, no sign on anywhere to fit this on the RS2, Again can I simply just remove the Acoustic valve all together?

6 - Removal of the support bracket for the Alternator, Is this the case with both kits? just leave the bracket out?

Thanks heaps guys really hanging to get this all finished tomorrow so I can start getting some data logging for a custom Fast Chip Map.

To answer by numbers:

1. I think (I might go outside and check for you ;) that pipe is for the carbon canister, you can just leave it (bit pikey) or remove the carbon canister altogether and block the pipe from the tank. On a 172 it goes onto the oil breather plate.

2. It is a b*****d, you just have to get an allen key in there and turn it a bit at a time. I have no air con so maybe mine was easier.

3. Yes or buy one from ktec, etc - same as with ITBs

4. I think they are the same? No difference.

5. Just bin it.

6. I have not aircon so guess I didn't have this problem.

clio trophy
2. i cut down an allen key and bent it with some heat, just takes time

6.i took it off and put the nut back on and all seems ok

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
1. Is the vac supply to the carbon canister this can be removed but I believe it will bring a dash light on.

On a side note if you want to sell the 172 coil pack mount give me a pm.

03 clio sport asc
1. Is the vac supply to the carbon canister this can be removed but I believe it will bring a dash light on.

Is removing the canister a good idea? where does the fuel tank then vent to? would it be a better solution to join the brake servo and carbon canister to a T piece and then run to the plenum?

The fuel tank has a vent anyway - I've blocked the pipe off and binned the carbon canister on my ITB'd car - no problems at all. It has a secondary vent through the fuel cap I believe

03 clio sport asc
Finally got the dam thing on and started last night:

DSC01736.jpg

gave it a bit of a rev, havent driven it yet as I still need to mount the coil packs and find a t piece to run the charcoal canister line back into the intake.

Did get it back fire through the intake twice though when reving it though, made a nice POP! any ideas why that would occur?

Oh as for the fuel rail I actually had to spin around injector one as it would hit the mounting bracket in the factory position which is strange right.

I also dont like how the filter is basically un secured:
DSC01732.jpg

Looks like it might rub a bit,

The coughing back through the manifold is most likely as you haven't had it mapped yet. I remember mine needed very gentle throttle at low revs before mapping.

My filter is same as yours, it's been fitted nearly 2 years without any issues.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
My mrs spun all the injectors round on ours when she installed it.

Easy to make a bracket for the filter but TBH the pipe is so stiff it isnt really an issue.

James will no doubt be able to supply you with a 182 coilpack mount if you want it to look "right" but easy enough to make one yourself.

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
that distribution side bolt is a b**ch isn't it...:evil:

I cursed so loud the place I was working at asked me to keep it down a bit.
i'm thinking of moving the coilpack to the other end of the head..it'll make it look like a more classic engine with distributor drive from the camshaft.

03 clio sport asc
OK so finally all finished and have just taken it for a quick spin..... Its down on power :( I think maybe slight air leak? or just needs to be mapped.
DSC00170.jpg

Didn't back fire tonight which is a good thing

The brackets come with their ITB kit - have a look at that or check my progress blog

They're about £30 but fit really well - if you give them a ring they'll sort you out :)

03 clio sport asc
the 2 filters supplied with the kit - do they both need to be sprayed with dirt retention additive?

03 clio sport asc
also as the breather has a filter instead of running back to the manifold, what happens when on the track? do I need a catch can as I dont want to end up with an engine bay full of oil!

Clio 172
what the F! stupid kit! so should come with a catch can!

CAMS regulations will require you to have a 2L catch can fitted. I got around this by drilling a hole in the standard silicone hose that comes with the kit, fitted a 90 deg piece and making sure it was sealed and then went and bought some suitable hose to run between the breather outlet and the inlet :D