ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Jacking disaster

Clio 172
Hi all, this is my first proper post and unfortunately not the first post I'd like to have started with. My 172 was purchased with koni 172 rear shocks and standard front shocks so I decided to fit new konis all round. Having read the guide it didn't seem too difficult, I even managed to undo the top mount bolts without too much difficulty. So far so good. However, when it came to jacking the car up things took a very quick turn for the worse. I put a piece of wood under the jack to avoid damaging the underseal; however, near the top of the jack the wood snapped, and the jack came away from the front box section and basically ripped the floorpan away from the box section. A tear about a foot long. Now I know why I don't normally attempt any job myself.

My question is have I destroyed the car? Is it weldable? If so what sort of money does anyone reckon?

Thanks in advance

Rob

Mavez

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio & No Megane
Should be able to weld a piece of sheet metal to fix it. Shouldn't laugh but this comes to mind when I first read this.
Fred-Flintstone-Barney-Rubble-Car.jpg

Clio 172
The part you "ripped" is not structural, you are fine. Just needs beating back and stitching.

Okay I am starting to feel better about it. I only decided to do the job myself because I thought it was time I learnt a bit more about the mechanical side of things. Could have got the job done in the garage for less than the money I've spent on tools and they wouldn't have wrecked things.

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.
Just be grateful you weren't under the car when it fell. But I can't see how the bit of wood you used would have snapped?

John Gordon

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 2.0 RS 172 Ph1
Okay I am starting to feel better about it. I only decided to do the job myself because I thought it was time I learnt a bit more about the mechanical side of things. Could have got the job done in the garage for less than the money I've spent on tools and they wouldn't have wrecked things.

Everyone's got to learn somehow. Instead of a block of wood, cut up an old rubber floor mat to fit within the cup of the jack. If you want to protect the paint.

Mavez

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio & No Megane
It's more fun to try new things and learn :) The amount of times crap has gone wrong for me when working on cars (bolts snapping, bits not fitting) makes me think "ugh wish I never bothered now", but after a while you just laugh about it and think "glad I done it myself"!

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
I've had 2 floor jacks slip, one hit the floor but a hammer sorted it and then next time it hit a connector block..

Now I run the a larger garage style one and as I'm doing loads of jacking lately, I've grabbed a mates too..

Clio 172
Right, I haven't given up. I now have the car on axle stands and have removed one front shock assembly. That's enough for tonight. Despite the damage I actually feel pleased with myself!

As to why the wood snapped, really not sure but I will confess that we are having building work done at home and I just grabbed the first bit from the scrap pile that's building up outside. Could well have sat rotting for a while. If I knew how to add a shame faced smilie I would!

RB182
Unlucky dude. You aren't the first and sure won't be the last to have a woopsie whilst jacking up a car lmao.
I used small sections I cut from an old tyre. Works a treat and stops the jack head on the trolley jack from beating the crap out of the underside of the motor.

997.1, Caddy, e208
I recall @MarkCup having a jacking issue at FCS 2009? while his didn't slip I'm sure he lowered it without bolting a wheel on or something....

Clio 172
What made you jack the floor not the beam, then use stands other countless structural areas beside tank and beam mounts?

I did a search on here for the best place to jack it, I found a post recommending the chassis rail so went for that. I think my big mistake was using the wood.

I've now down the two front shocks and am quite pleased with myself for doing them myself despite the damage I've done to the car!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I recall @MarkCup having a jacking issue at FCS 2009? while his didn't slip I'm sure he lowered it without bolting a wheel on or something....

You have a great memory!

I'd jacked up the front on the passenger side and swapped the wheel for one with track rubber on, then, before the driver's side was lifted to do the same I went around to crack the wheel bolts off so my electric torque wrench could cope with them.

I then completely lost where I was and what I was doing...for some reason I continued and fully undid and removed all four bolts and then got confused as to why the unjacked wheel wasn't coming off.

One almighty yank later and the wheel came off the hub centre, and the car dropped down resting on the brake disc on the inside of the wheel rim.

I stopped rushing when working on my car after that.

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
I'd recommend jacking the front slightly further up. If you follow the rail to the front there is a bolt in a subframe brace or whatever it is called. Jack from there and it is less likely to slip.

Here -

jackpoint.jpg

Clio 172
I'd recommend jacking the front slightly further up. If you follow the rail to the front there is a bolt in a subframe brace or whatever it is called. Jack from there and it is less likely to slip.

Thanks, where would you recommend for the back of the car? It seems some say the beam, others definitely not the beam.

Clio 197
Jack it on the wishbone bolt and an ice hockey puck is a good thing to use between the Jack face and the underside of the car.

For the rear , Jack it on the underside of the damper. The rear end is very light though.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member

Here -

jackpoint.jpg

Spot on lad. Always put the jack with that bolt inside the jacks cavity so it doesn't slip. Works perfectly