ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I've just turned 153,00 miles in mine.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
How do the clios drive at 150+? Maybe a silly question :p

Mines on 105k now and i dont plan on selling it. Will it be good to go forever as long as its well serviced etc?

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
166k on my 172 Cup. Just having to replace wear and tear items really, no real issues (touch wood!)

Clio 172 Phase II
Yea, it drives pretty much the same as it did before. I have a very slight 2nd-3rd gear crunch when cold and changing at low revs but it goes away when up to temperature but it's been like that since 75k or so. I still drive it the same and bounce it off the rev limiter every now and then. It's been serviced pretty regularly. All the belts and stuff have been done when specced, etc. Apart from the massively kerbed wheels and flaky steering wheel, you wouldn't notice any difference between this car and a newer/lower mileage one.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Yea, it drives pretty much the same as it did before. I have a very slight 2nd-3rd gear crunch when cold and changing at low revs but it goes away when up to temperature but it's been like that since 75k or so. I still drive it the same and bounce it off the rev limiter every now and then. It's been serviced pretty regularly. All the belts and stuff have been done when specced, etc. Apart from the massively kerbed wheels and flaky steering wheel, you wouldn't notice any difference between this car and a newer/lower mileage one.

Original box/clutch then?

Clio 172 Phase II
yeah. Although a lot of my miles were commuting 100 miles a day on the motorway so the clutch wasn't in massive use a lot of the time. I would say a lot of cars at 150k had probbaly had a new clutch.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
yeah. Although a lot of my miles were commuting 100 miles a day on the motorway so the clutch wasn't in massive use a lot of the time. I would say a lot of cars at 150k had probbaly had a new clutch.

Good stuff. I noticed a slight whine at 130k so had a gearbox recon done, at the same time I had a new clutch fitted (it was still spot on mind)

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
I think mine could do with a gearbox recon/replace tbh. Starting to crunch when i change to second and alot for reverse.
Im guessing its never been replaced since new so its probably for the best

Clio 172 Phase II
Good stuff. I noticed a slight whine at 130k so had a gearbox recon done, at the same time I had a new clutch fitted (it was still spot on mind)

Cool- I probably would anything to keep it going, even now. My biggest ever spend was on a new cat one MOT and a load of odd suspension bits. I have had some good, good times in it and love my car and want to keep it going. Although having said that, I keep finding myslef trawling ads for Ignis sports....

Clio 172 Phase II
I think mine could do with a gearbox recon/replace tbh. Starting to crunch when i change to second and alot for reverse.
Im guessing its never been replaced since new so its probably for the best

I'm no mechanic so my knowledge is limited but I had my gear oil changed and it certainly made SOME difference. You could try that first. My mechanic said that there was big clumps of congealed crap that came out of gear box.

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
most cars should be like that if serviced/looked after properly.

Extra wear and tear with doing road rallies in it, takes a beating to be fair and takes it in its stride. Hillclimbs and sprints next I think.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
I'm no mechanic so my knowledge is limited but I had my gear oil changed and it certainly made SOME difference. You could try that first. My mechanic said that there was big clumps of congealed crap that came out of gear box.

Maybe try this before i do anything with the box itself then, thanks alot for the advice :)

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
Good stuff mate my mates is on 140k it still goes like a rocket...I sold my 106 GTI with 142k on it the engines still going strong