ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I've got a 172cup for track days, what's the best way to gain say 10-15 hp ?

clio 172
If its mostly used on track, strip it..decent lightweight wheels, and lower it a little. You have to spend a few quid to get decent gains from these engines

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
As said above, strip as much of the weight as possible if it is for track only. Cheapest and best way to gain speed. And if it hasn't already put the 98 Ron RS Tuner map on it.

A decent set of brakes and tyres with 15" lightweight alloys next, with a whiteline RARB.

Next - suspension, decent set of coilies and refresh all round (TRE's etc).

Then decent track tuition and track time.

Lastly, and only if you really love it, start paying for engine mods. Spending money chasing power for 172 / 182s is expensive in terms of bang for buck. Trust me ;)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
There isnt a way that doesnt cost pretty much what you paid for the car I suspect sadly mate, in terms of if you are getting someone else to fit and map etc for you.

Clio 182
Learn how to drive it properly
I second that ... I've just got a 182 for track day fun, I don't have too much in mind for more BHP.
For me, make it safe, reliable. Second to that and for all the fun add track day tyres A048 / R888 etc ... these added and an increase corner speed equals a lot of fun ;-)
If you can drive the car round better than the next guy horse power is irrelevant. (IMO)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Good condition shocks and track rod ends and decent springs should be first place to look IMHO. Even before good tyres really.
As if you sort all that when you first get the car you won't have to worry about any of it for ages so the benefits last a long time.

Clio 172 phase 1
Suspension and tires.... I've got Rsx and half decent tires now I've poly bushed what I can with the powerflex kits available and a damn good service and I do Abergavenny to chepstow in 22 mins through raglan " wich is fairly quick " the power stays there in the corners and the car is just planted .... Also to add decent discs and pads in on brembo max and love them for normal and fast use will be getting some pagid blues through work next week as a freebie as I'm going on a pagid course :) smiles

RS RIP
^^ the above and very much so : weight saving. strip it! I have managed to lose about 50kg by replacing the exhaust, taking out the back seats + replacing the front seats with 6 kilo Sparco's , big placebo effect maybe but the car feels much more nippy with every kilo lost

Nyall

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium Ph1 172
These cars benifit more from handling modifications rather than engine power modifications. The better you get the handling the more speed you can carry through the corners and onto the straights.

If I were you the first thing I would consider is to renew all the bushes, track rod ends, steering rack bushes etc to tighten up the car. It will basically feel like it's factory fresh, which gives you a good starting point to build on.

Stickier tyres, decent coilovers, rear anti roll bar would be next.

Strip the car of any excess weight. Lighter = faster. Plus it's free.

If you must do engine mods then I'd consider an RS Tuner map, a performance air filter or a Ph1/Espace V6 airbox if you can find one and an aftermarket exhaust to help the engine rev more freely. An exhaust will save some weight too, bonus.

If you wanna get more serious, and spend more money, then solid top mounts and solid engine and gearbox mounts.

All depends on your budget really, but the costs of cams and ITB's (if you want power) would be more beneficial spent on the above IMO. Although it may not be increasing your car's power output, it will still make your car faster round the track. It's not all about the BHP.

Audi a6. Tr6. Clio
The RS remap ?? Where's best near peterborough to get it done, or haul it up To Leeds to their place. Is it an advantage to have it mapped on a rolling road or does it matter if it's a standard re map ???

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
^ they are two different things mate:

RS Tuning is in Leeds with rolling road

RS Tuner is "DIY"

Have a search plenty of info on both, there's a good guide on the latter but you may have to be a full member to view it. Only £12 and very worthwhile doing so!