ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

iTunes servers?

Clio 172
Hi guys, wonder if someone can help.

Basically got my proliant N40l today, and have installed WHS on it. first thing is trying to set up some sort of centralised database for my iTunes.

Movies etc I will use plex, that's all set up. The only problem is I want to have all my music in one central place, I don't really want to use home sharing if I can help it.

So what's the best thing to use on the server? All my music will be downloaded to there, and will want to play it on laptop and PC mainly. Ideally through iTunes on the computer/laptop.

I'm guessing iTunes has to be the server? I can't see any other software that can host the files and iTunes can read/play them.

If anyone could help, I'd appreciate it!

Clio 172
There is a free app which will run iTunes as a service on WHS. It means that you can enable homesharing without having to log onto the machine. I use it on mine and can stream all music to my iPad/ iPhone from the server.

Link:
http://www.johncleary.net/2009/11/download-jtunes-here/

Cheers mate, gonna give that a go now. Having bit of trouble, seems when just the service is running it can't see the library, but when I open iTunes it's there.

I may end up sharing the iTunes library and folder on the server, map it as a drive, then set up symbolic links to the original, local iTunes folder, then the iTunes client will think its running a local library, but infact it's running the server library