ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ITG - Panel or Maxogen?

M140i
Been debating this for a while, Ive heard that there isnt much between them gains wise, just wondering what peoples opinions are as there is a massive price difference, im not worried about what it sounds like, im gettin an aftermarket exhaust anyway, just interested in performance, all info appreciated, thanks in advance :)

Fitted a new ITG Panel filter on Saturday.

To be honest, I can't say I noticed any huge increase in performance (I wasn't expecting any), but it feels much smoother, and seems to breath easier as well. There is a small increase in induction noise above 4k, but nothing compared to an induction kit.

It also seems to possibly pull slightly better low down, but of course all these things could just be the placebo effect.

182, SRT8, RS4, GT-R
50 pound for a filter which does the same as the maxogen bar noise which costs 350? hmm... lol.

Clio 172 mk2
Wouldn't bother with the Maxogen on it's own...as part of a package with cams, matched inlets and ecu mapping maybe.

On a std car or in a low state of tune the panel is the best way to go

Not got a car
the maxogen must be loads better, is it not carbon fibre?

I still think that the OEM plastic air box warms up inside, it must do. I've got a ITG panel. Nothings changed apart from i dont have to replace it.

Im going open kit in a few days time.

What I have never understood, is that when people say the OEM air boxes on cars heat up, the air passing through them, is usually drawn from somewhere by the wheel, where it should be cool, and it must take all of about 0.2 of a second for this air to go from the end of the air feed, to the throttle body, therefore not really having much time to heat up.

I understand, if the air feed is located by the engine, or an open filter is used, then the air is already warm when it is drawn in, so should be worse.

I'm no mechanic though, so it may be all b****cks.

Not got a car
sounds about right.

When i first got my ITG i took my car for a spin then put on an old green open kit i had for my old saxo, Quick bodge. The filter inside was piping hot. There must be some sort of heat soak with the OEM box being so close to the engine block.

There was no dif in performance, so thats why im going to try a open kit for a why, Sounds better to.

Lionel Richie
the maxogen must be loads better, is it not carbon fibre?

I still think that the OEM plastic air box warms up inside, it must do. I've got a ITG panel. Nothings changed apart from i dont have to replace it.

Im going open kit in a few days time.

why does carbon fibre make it a better air filter system??

clio cup racer airbox!

Lionel Richie
depends on the spec of the resin used, so yes and no

but normal CF with a resin infusion, normally no, not any better than plastic anyway

Lionel Richie
£350 is nothing, for a proper prepreg carcase you'd be up round £700+

so in one way is good vfm, but in other ways its not

i haven't had a nose inside one yet, so have no idea on how its constructed

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
They are mint. I had one on my Cup and they are by far the best built induction kit out there. People say they are over priced..... well they aint cheap, but when you see a Viper retails @ £250.... the ITG PISSES over it from a great height. How anyone can say the viper is good is beyond me, the build quality is shocking!! I will be getting a Maxogen for my new 182

Sib

Clio 172 (Silver)
After a year of Induction Kit i'm going back to the box with a BMC panel filter.

Gonna remove the acoustic valve when I find out where it lives and increase the bore of the airfeed pipe.

Ph1
They are mint. I had one on my Cup and they are by far the best built induction kit out there. People say they are over priced..... well they aint cheap, but when you see a Viper retails @ £250.... the ITG PISSES over it from a great height. How anyone can say the viper is good is beyond me, the build quality is shocking!! I will be getting a Maxogen for my new 182

Completly disagree

Ive had a Viper and now have a Maxogen and there is no difference in performance to call and in terms of fit couldnt fault the Viper.

Viper is a superb bit of kit. Noise with the CAF not connected and just pointing at is awsome

Maybe if folk fitted / set them up right they might not get so much undeserved negative press

Read somewhere that the fastest recorded 1/4 172 ran a Viper so their not that sh1t

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS

Completly disagree

Ive had a Viper and now have a Maxogen and there is no difference in performance to call and in terms of fit couldnt fault the Viper.

Viper is a superb bit of kit. Noise with the CAF not connected and just pointing at is awsome

Maybe if folk fitted / set them up right they might not get so much undeserved negative press

Read somewhere that the fastest recorded 1/4 172 ran a Viper so their not that sh1t

Agree with Gaz, The Pipercross Viper is bullshit!!! looks mince, fitment is poor and sounds crap imo (personal choice)

Think i was one of the first to get a maxogen and i think it's one of the best mods i made!!

VaVa
I had mine before you :rasp:

Lovely bit of kit... I paid £300 for mine brand new in a group buy. So not that bad a price.

Wouldn't bother with it unles you intend to at least get a remap with it.

VRS
Completly disagree

Agree with Gaz, The Pipercross Viper is bulls**t!!! looks mince, fitment is poor and sounds crap imo (personal choice)

Think i was one of the first to get a maxogen and i think it's one of the best mods i made!!

i agree with gaz and ali, my viper was carp, the build quality was shocking and the gains, well there werent any! all it did was sound like a chavvy boom when i accelerated! fitted the maxogen and calm was restored :D

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
I had mine before you :rasp:

Lovely bit of kit... I paid £300 for mine brand new in a group buy. So not that bad a price.

Wouldn't bother with it unles you intend to at least get a remap with it.

"One of the first then!!!" lol.

I paid 400 for Maxogen, tuned inlets and a decat !

Lionel Richie
171 - std
184 - viper, catback + superchip remap

before and after results done on Power Engineerings rollers

nothing wrong with vipers!

Clio 172 Cup
i paid £150 for my ITG maxogen kit and was as brand new, unmarked!

so there!

(got it off ebay)

Didn't get any instructions with it so wasn't sure what the egg shaped flat steel plate was for (can't seem to put it anywhere).

Any ideas?

Rang ITG up to get a set of notes and they said it would cost me a fiver and they would send them by post (i said sod that, not in those words though). would not email them to me as they were worried i would start selling them on ebay! why would i do such a thing!?

They obviously don't know my real ebay business, why would I waste time selling bits of paper on ebay.

VaVa
The egg shaped flat steel, or blanking plate as it's known fits over the hole where the OEM air feed connected behind the head light to stop warm air passing into the are where the intake is. Don't get that with a Viper ;)

Plate goes where arrow points to.

P1010250copy.gif

VaVa
No worries. Reason I have the pic is that when we did the group buy there were one or two who weren't sure where to put it either. And they had the instructions!

Save your money Ady and modify your std airbox by removing the acoustic valve and installing a larger intake pipe and ITG filter.

ENGINEBAY1.jpg

INTAKE2.jpg