ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ITB'd Road & Track Ph1 Titanium 172

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
The rattle is really really annoying on the road, when Ive driven cars with it fitted I end up resting my hand on the gear lever just to shut the fecker up.

Much prefer the scenic one TBH as a conversion, although the change of the pure is a little more positive unless you add the yanoo kit to the scenic one as well.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I can't get the Yanoo stuff in time to do it. I don't trust my soup stirrer on track anymore, it's a bit sloppy.

Hopefully what I've got in mind will keep the noise to a minimum

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Well I got my PMS shifter the day after ordering. I was a little put off by the price but I stumped up anyway and got it fitted.

Fitting was easy enough but the setup was a little trying, got it perfect in the end and I must say I'm quite impressed although I'd have felt about £100 cheaper would be a better price, then again I don't know what it costs to put the kit together.

For setup I followed the instructions and started in reverse. But I couldn't really get 3rd, 4th and 5th. So I put it in 2nd and tweaked it a bit. I could get everything bar 5th gear. So I tweaked it finally in 4th and I could get all gears perfectly. Its a very confidence inspiring shift. I went for a quick blast and tried a bit of heel and toe on downshifts and I didn't once feel like I would miss a gear.

As for the rattle, I get a little bit occasionally but nothing major. Its the spherical bearing in the shifter housing, being a bearing it can take loads but in this scenario it isn't under load which lets it vibrate a bit. I used double sides sticky foam doubled up instead of silicon which might help a bit and I left the sound deadening in place around the shifter housing.

The positioning is spot on and when giving it some it just feels 'right'.

The only downside to the purchase was noticing I'd been charged for two separate purchases. My own shifter and someone else's strut tops and strut brace! I'm currently waiting for the refund to go through.

Obligatory photos...
IMAG1784.jpg

IMAG1785.jpg

In other news I got my new tyres fitted.
IMAG1783.jpg

And I got my geo set, first off I went to AJK Motors. It cost £84 and when I got home I looked at it and I thought it wasn't quite right so I took it to Buckley Tyres where I usually go. As I thought, it was out; 0.5 degrees more camber on the OSF and AJK had set 20 mins toe in when I had asked for toe out. And they hadn't tightened the lock nut on the OSF spherical bearing rod end.

Something I need to consider is going back to AJK and making a scene, they obviously don't know what they're doing.

All sorted
IMAG1781.jpg

When I got to Buckley Tyres I hit a milestone, 90k miles
IMAG1780.jpg

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
The texts you sent me about the setup were hilarious! Still makes me chuckle now!

Yes, that reminds me. If anyone ever needs help setting theirs up I would rather drink my own urine than set up the shifter. It is a genuine ball ache because it's so sensitive to adjustments.

It didn't help that it was pissing down throughout so I had to wear full waterproofs under my dirty car clothes. Proper Welsh weather! Of course it stopped when I was done setting up, it felt like a proper test of my resolve tbh.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Ok! So the RS day at Oulton went well. The car performed better than expected and the new shifter was spot on.

The 1st session I took quite easy and got a feel for the car, after that I started to push on with my confidence building.

The new AST suspension and roll centre kit felt brilliant, really happy with them.

The Yokohama AD08R seemed to have held up much better than the Federal RSR, I felt the cornering grip wasn't a great deal different but they don't need as much camber, braking felt more stable (that could be down to the camber) and the power got put down better (again probably due to less camber). I'll definitely be sticking to these over the RSR although I don't know how they compare in the wet.

The only real let down, although it didn't hamper the day, was the brakes. The DS2500 on the front cooked and got a nice glaze so the discs and pads have had it. To be fair they've been pretty good until now, pushing on to take on some R26.R Meganes probably didn't help.

So these will be going on earlier than I had planned along with a set of Carbon Lorraine RC5+ pads I ordered from KTec who are the cheapest around for them at the moment.

I don't know if I'll need the larger master cylinder but I've got one just in case.

IMAG1792_1.jpg

Here's some photos from Adam93 and Paul.M , thanks chaps :)

14877633347_bb6357a0d6_o.jpg

15054906232_154d835ef4_o.jpg

14877521570_73eb058c24_o.jpg

14877610397_7f5e17ccdb_o.jpg

15061147901_aa78ca7c14_o.jpg

Next up Anglesey on October 3rd and Oulton again on November 29th.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Great up dates mate.

Tom, how are you going to fit them 4 pots under the 15" wheels??

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Great up dates mate.

Tom, how are you going to fit them 4 pots under the 15" wheels??

280mm discs and I've got spacers. They need a wheel about ET30.

Although I was looking at Jack's aucky Pro Race 3 wheels and they seem to have a lot more calliper clearance so I reckon you could get away with ET40-45 with them.

Paul.M

ClioSport Club Member
Lovely car Tom.

Jen enjoyed her passenger ride too, when we were sat having dinner she was telling me how she had learnt about apex's and the cones etc so thank you :)

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Lovely car Tom.

Jen enjoyed her passenger ride too, when we were sat having dinner she was telling me how she had learnt about apex's and the cones etc so thank you :)

Cheers Paul, I'll be there again in November.

Haha must have been reasonably interesting then! She was a good passenger, not like me, I'm a terrible passenger.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Off with the cooked discs and pads...
IMAG1839.jpg

I machined the new callipers last week in work, I took 5mm on the mounting face and 1.5mm off where the nuts will sit to accommodate the 283mm bells and rotors later on in the year.
IMAG1798.jpg

IMAG1797.jpg

Managed to get my 4 pots on, they're a tight fit! I'm going to take a bit off the corners this weekend and reduce the spacers from 10mm to 5mm.
IMAG1836.jpg

IMAG1837.jpg

IMAG1838.jpg

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Lol! That's proper f**king close!! No room for wheel weights there!

Nope! I had to remove them :rasp: so I'll need to get them rebalanced soon

Awesome!!! 197/Megane brembos, and only 10mm spacers? What offset are those wheels again?

I could get away with 5mm, maybe even a bit less like 3mm. They're ET35 so to run without spacers you want ET30. With the Pro Race 3 which has more spoke clearance you could quite easily fit ET45-40.

That's about as close as mine is running 300's

Yeah, The downside is compared with the Wilwood Midilites they have a larger pad area and are made for larger discs and so it means disc size is compromised and they are a bit heavier. The upside is the larger pad area, piston area, disc thickness (when I fit my bells and rotors) and larger surface area of the calliper to disperse heat.

Overall the brake torque of the Brembos with 283mm discs and a lower coefficient pad (RC5+ = 0.48) is a little bit more than Midilites with 300mm discs and a slightly higher coefficient pad (DS3000 = 0.51) but not enough to notice any difference between the two systems your only talking 5-6%. Whether the extra pad area, disc thickness and ability to disperse heat means that pad and disc wear is reduced I'll never know!

Last edited:

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
A bit more clearance sorted :) I didn't want to take too much off but I've got about another 3mm

IMAG1845.jpg

IMAG1847.jpg

IMAG1848.jpg

Here you can see the redesigned brake pad retaining pins and CL pads.
IMAG1846.jpg

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Show off. :cool:

Looks great that mate.

How does it feel, have you driven it yet?

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Just ordered my 'Go Racing' pack :D

Show off. :cool:

Looks great that mate.

How does it feel, have you driven it yet?

They feel good, haven't pushed it yet though but they feel great so far.

Good skills. I'm quite jealous!

Cheers Martin :)

Brilliant Tom I need another passenger ride asap

October 3rd, be there!

Looks good Tom. Did you give up on the MG AP's?

I did Morgan, I decided to go for a more 'off the shelf' solution instead.

172 cup, Impreza P1
Just for info, 2118's have a huge amount of internal clearance over most wheels. I had some Superleggeras and thought they had a lot of clearance but they still fowled the AP CP5200 calipers I was using. I was scratching my head on how to overcome it and was playing with mm here and there. Then tried the 2118's and had about 8mm clear using 300mm discs.

Sold the Superleggeras and bought another set of 2118's for both my road and track wheels. Job done :D

Just for info, 2118's have a huge amount of internal clearance over most wheels. I had some Superleggeras and thought they had a lot of clearance but they still fowled the AP CP5200 calipers I was using. I was scratching my head on how to overcome it and was playing with mm here and there. Then tried the 2118's and had about 8mm clear using 300mm discs.

Sold the Superleggeras and bought another set of 2118's for both my road and track wheels. Job done :D

Just to confirm, do you mean 2118s, or TD1.2s?

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Paid a deposit on a Safety Devices cage with the latest Mark Fish group buy.

This turned up today :)
IMAG1905_1.jpg

Tomorrow I'm off to Demon Tweeks to have a look at race suits.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I did Anglesey last week, new brakes were epic. So much better than the previous setup.

I need to get the photos my mates took. It was nice to be faster than most of the other stuff there and only had to watch out for a couple of Caterham R400s.

When I got home there was lots of squealing on full lock and yesterday moving the car I found the steering notchy and vague, the PAS pump has had it.

I'd already ordered a new battery and Astra PAS pump to sort a new setup. I've just ordered a new alternator too.

The next track day is at the end of November so I need to get going so it's ready.

My new Sabelt 6 point harnesses arrived thanks to the help of Steve of Sabelt UK and hopefully the Safety Devices cage will be available in 3 weeks from the Mark Fish group buy.