ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ITB Alloy Rads

RB 182
What do people use please and at what price? My polo rad doesn't seem to be lasting too long, need something more durable for track use.

Cup In bits
Yeah that's the ones, loads of different sizes available on them golf mk3 rads. You will have to make custom mounting brackets and measure before you buy..... as said there is loads of sizes available and some can't be used with hydraulic PAS due to hitting pump/high pressure pipe.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
You could have one made for around £200-250

Contact Boston Radiator Services. They made me one and had it delivered within two days. The quality was great and it worked very well.

Last edited:
  172 Cup Jenvey'd
DDo it once, do it right.

I make aluminium motorsport items, radiators, oil coolers, catch tanks etc etc.
Using the highest quality cores as we supply wrc, British superbikes etc and have no issues.

Plus I dont mess around on the welding ;)

Aston Martin DB2 radiator
DSC_1629_zps6421698d.gif

DSC_1635_zps876f4eff.gif

It's a no brainer. Custom made to your spec :)

EDIT: Just checked out that rad in the link... "Jesus Christ Fenton" sprung to mind. Very pretty -_- haha

172 Cup Jenvey'd
Well I cant compete with these sub £200 set ups as the cores we use come to around that figure alone...

Cup In bits
Well I cant compete with these sub £200 set ups as the cores we use come to around that figure alone...

They're not magical but for £120 they go for and the fact they're likely to need replaced every couple of years maybe more in Motorsport they're ideal.

Loads of Clio racer/trackdayers using them with no issues I have heard of.

For a factory/works team or if I was loaded I would like something similar to the stuff your doing, quality work.

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
I use the mk3 golf rad on my rally car, just had some dowles welded on the bottom to suite the subframe and standard rubber mount also had a 45 degree angle welded on the bottom outlet. Cost about £180 all in including the rad. It holds quite a bit of water and keeps the car nice and cool.

Id rather have 2-3 of these rads for the price of a £500 one, in racing/rallying cars will get crashed/broken so might as well keep component costs down if you can. I could understand for endurance/pro level racing but most of us just do trackdays,hillclimbs,Short races/stages so a leaking rad etc would be unlikely to put us out.

^^ That sounds like a good plan.
I want to swap my cheap polo rad for an alloy one over winter as doing 'ring trip in the Clio next year and it does struggle with summer heat on long drives

Cup In bits
Golf mk3 rad with a few pics of needed mods, I didn't get the lower outlet changed although I might in the future, still works with it straight.

Mike how much fans have you used? I have two 10" but thinking it will be overkill now.

P1000590.jpg

P1000589.jpg

Lionel Richie
i do find it mental people skimp on something as vital as a radiator, £5K engine with a £50 rad is a bad idea (as i've already told meek and others!)

Lionel Richie
Same as when the megane boys put 400+bhp through a stock rad, yeah it works but to make more power = more heat and the stock rad ain't going to keep up (in my opinion!) but people don't want to spend £500+ on a decent rad because it doesn't add anymore power!

Cup In bits
aye but they're still cheap Chinese tat (sorry!!)

Aye true nothing like above (scots) but they hold more water and have a bigger surface area, I'm of the exact same thinking as Mike, I expect to damage radiators fairly regularly with gravel traps.

340i
Same as when the megane boys put 400+bhp through a stock rad, yeah it works but to make more power = more heat and the stock rad ain't going to keep up (in my opinion!) but people don't want to spend £500+ on a decent rad because it doesn't add anymore power!

My Megane at 305bhp gets ridiculously hot! What do you make of the Forge motorsport alloy radiator they do for the megane, any experience of them?

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Golf mk3 rad with a few pics of needed mods, I didn't get the lower outlet changed although I might in the future, still works with it straight.

Mike how much fans have you used? I have two 10" but thinking it will be overkill now.

P1000590.jpg

P1000589.jpg

What width is this one and others use as some are very narrow. With itbs you can go wider than standard to more
Than compensate for the lack of height.

Cup In bits
Not sure tbh (PM'd you long time ago with info) it touches both chassis legs near enough with plenty of room for 120mm trumpets, they don't need to be that tall as they are twice as thick as the standard one so more than make up for it, even if they were oem sized.

M3, Cup racer'd 182
Here's the one i bought Dimensions are:
Core: 630mm x 320mm x 35mm
Overall: 715mm x 325mm x45mm.
http://bit.ly/1igcQAo
(sorry about link on mobile)

I've just picked it up from having the mounting modified.
3149F06B-E152-4F20-A12A-3EB4D7D6DD58-146-00000000E02FFF45_zps750bc602.jpg

M3, Cup racer'd 182
I would advise that if your running HPAS you buy a shorter length radiator as it would be very close. (I'm using EPAS) and currently using a mk1 16v bracket for the alternator.

Will upload pics of it fitted on the weekend.

Cup In bits
I prefer having proper mountings for the fan, I just used aluminium flat bar bolted to threads already on the rad , not keen on those straps as I have seen them rub through the element or just fall off.

I have 2 x generic 10" eBay fans and mad max' look to be the same.

Few pics

P1000601.jpg

P1000558.jpg

RB 182
Does it make any difference cooling wise with the fan being placed slightly further away? Are they meant to sit flush with the surface? I can get the cross brace welded in work.

Cup In bits
Look through Ian Speedys thread, he had nice shroud plates water jetted out and welded on, real nice way to do it.

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Kindda on this topic what rad to go for if standard capacity has to be retained?

Cup Turbo, Flamer
Are there no options currently for a direct replacement alloy rad then? Excluding those Direnza ones...

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
MG cup I use the same eBay fans as you. I have twins but only 1 is used for normal running. The other can be manually turned on via a switch and is also activated by a second fan output on the ECU set at a higher temp incase the main fan fails.

Cup In bits
MG cup I use the same eBay fans as you. I have twins but only 1 is used for normal running. The other can be manually turned on via a switch and is also activated by a second fan output on the ECU set at a higher temp incase the main fan fails.

Nice feature that, its Omex you run too right.

Yeah there's a thicker core alloy version of the standard one but its too tall for ITB's and big trumpets.

RB 182
First one looks bang on, will measure up tomorrow. Second one i've been tempted to get for months but would need to bin the PAS.