ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

IT Corporate people - Good Technology

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
Uncotrolled distribution of information, and wifi can never ever be secure enough for us.

If this wasn't the case it would be brilliant for us.

E39 530i
We're going to be trialling it v soon, as a precursor to moving to BYOD

Cookie this was one of the main reason I was going to implement it at my place. But with the whole BYOD to work, I don't think it will work here very well. So i thinking of Good to secure the emails on the devices.

PS are you running exchange

CIW

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 Track Car
I'm not in IT so know nothing about the implementation but my company uses it and, as a user, I'm pretty happy with it. Means I don't need to carry round a Blackberry as well as my personal phone. It's pretty basic and there are some sync issues but overall I find it very handy.

Only real downside at present is we've only rolled out for Apple devices so I'm a bit tied to iPhones until they give us the Android option (but this is just the way my company have approached, don't believe it's an issue with Good).

E39 530i
I'm not in IT so know nothing about the implementation but my company uses it and, as a user, I'm pretty happy with it. Means I don't need to carry round a Blackberry as well as my personal phone. It's pretty basic and there are some sync issues but overall I find it very handy.

Only real downside at present is we've only rolled out for Apple devices so I'm a bit tied to iPhones until they give us the Android option (but this is just the way my company have approached, don't believe it's an issue with Good).

What sort of sync issues are you experiencing?

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
I deployed full corporate iPhone/iPad integration using IBM Traveler about 2 years ago. Wifi devices around the company use the best possible security including AD RADIUS authentication with certificates etc.

The director insisted on using BB despite my insistence it is crap. He got one anyway.. spent 3 days trying to make it work.. took it back and got an iPhone. He walked into my office and asked me to set it up and he would pick it up later that day. I told him to hang on.. 30 seconds later (was actually probably less than that !) he was good to go with fully synchronised mail, contacts, calender including meeting invitations, reminders and corporate address look up and contact replication with the users mail file. I have full control over device security and can remote wipe.. etc

He hasn't looked back since and insisted I deploy it to all senior staff ! Oh, and this also works with Android, Windows Mobile and Symbian OS phones.

RIM/BB .. lolz

dk

911 GTS Cab
The good app is the most ironically named app ever, it's really restrictive, getting better, but still s**t IMO.

we sell it and unfortunately also have to use it, the last update brought some ok features, but its still a pain in the ass.

i could talk about how s**t it is all day.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
I remember looking at the Good offering for mobile devices around 7 or 8 years ago when there really wasn't much out there apart from Blackberry/RIM that actually worked.

Haven't really kept up with that area of things though but seem to remember all the Gartner stuff over the years saying they were up there near the top.

I deployed full corporate iPhone/iPad integration using IBM Traveler about 2 years ago.

I use this as well (although working where I am no chance they'd use anything else) and coming from a career of implementing and supporting (and using) Blackberry infrastructure it doesn't seem bad at all. I am just a user now though not involved in any of the setup/support or the like.

Syncs all my Notes stuff to my work iPhone with no problems at all, also get my Sametime IM on it as well now which can be handy.

Last edited:

dk

911 GTS Cab
please do dk... at least the major points. surely you can do whatever you want with GD?
It's a sandbox app, you can't copy and paste from it, so if you have an email with a postcode, you can't paste it into the iOS maps (not that that's a big loss these days with iOS maps being so s**t lol), it shows you that you have 3 new emails, but when you go into the app they aren't there, it needs to synchronise which takes time before you get to see the emails, it doesn't integrate into the message centre on iOS, they've only just enabled being able to see what your appointments are when they remind you, it used to just come up with good reminder and you had to log into the app to see what the reminder was for, they got you to change a registry setting on the good server to enable this, but most people didn't know about it as it want just an option in the GUI on the server.

it has got a lot better recently, it's now faster to synchronise, it was very slow and would download all the mails since you last opened the app, even if you had already deleted them in outlook or owa etc.

its only just enabled you to open .msg attachments, it can't open a passwords PDF, so I have to forward my wage slip to my hotmail account to open it in the native iOS app.

you also couldn't access the camera roll, but a few weeks back they enabled that, so it's getting better, but its just so restrictive compared to the iOS mail app, there's no threading of email trails, which is annoying after having had this in the iOS app.

i think the only good thing is I can access the internal intranet from the app, but then I never have a need to use that anyway, so it's no major gain!

theres better solutions out there, my personal preference would be to use active sync with the iOS app, but the it dept think its not secure enough, but that's because they don't know how to secure it!

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
its does sound pretty poor from what you have said. I guess the problem with using the iOS app is that if your phone gets stolen, anyone can view your emails if they JB the device. I assume the Good app makes you login to your emails before loading emails over a sync session (i.e. once you log out, the app cache is cleared along with all email data)?

dk

911 GTS Cab
You can either do it so you log into the app (the way I have it and its encrypted) or they have just enabled a policy to force a password on the iPhone/iPad so it's no real different then to having the built in mail app with a password forced on the device to get into it.

guess some of it depends on your it dept and their view on it all and how much they restrict you, the guy doing ours hates apple......., so he loves restricting us from using the built in app and forcing us to use good.

Good is probably 100% better than it was this time last year, so you can imagine what I thought of it when I first got it!

Dafthead

ClioSport Club Member
  MB EQC
My experience of Good was them harassing me to buy, got pissed off in the end and told them to GTF

dk

911 GTS Cab
I've never used that sorry.

but for iOS devices, you really can't beat the built in apps, you just need to secure them properly really.

if you an SCCM 2012 house could use the inbuilt management features with SP1 and also Intune... worth looking into.. They can now manage ios, android, etc etc