ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Issue with touch-up paint

RB 182
I've bought a genuine Renault touch-up set but for some reason the paint does not cure in the centre. Ive cleaned and used isopropyl spray, then applied a fine line of paint into a deep scratch, pat it down after 15min as per instructions. After two days I try to wet sand the paint down, the outside is cured but the inside is like jelly... Is the paint off or am I doing something wrong? I tried the lacquer too but this didn't help. Both were done on a dry day and the temp was around 10-15deg c

Mike

Is this a base coat and lacquer touch up set? as in paint the colour then you clear lacquer it? If so you'll probably find either the paints past its best or its too damn cool (1k lacquers normally are fine mind as they dont have the build and dry quickly) or its been applied too thickly without enough flash of time in between coats.

Give it a good going over with a hair dryer......its a too cold + damp to let it cure without forcing drying it really.

I've bought a genuine Renault touch-up set but for some reason the paint does not cure in the centre. Ive cleaned and used isopropyl spray, then applied a fine line of paint into a deep scratch, pat it down after 15min as per instructions. After two days I try to wet sand the paint down, the outside is cured but the inside is like jelly... Is the paint off or am I doing something wrong? I tried the lacquer too but this didn't help. Both were done on a dry day and the temp was around 10-15deg c

Mike

Last edited:
  RB 182
Well I tried again with the nice warm weather, same result :( As soon as I started to flat down to the paint layer it was all jelly like and came off straight away. I've made a right mess so going to take it to a scratch repair place or full respray :(

RB 182
No, It dried pretty much instantly and was left in direct sunlight for 4-5 hours. Then left naturally for a couple of days in similar weather/sunlight. I think the paint is off or I'm just plain rubbish at doing this. I've never seen paint come away like this before.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
If it's paint AND lacquer aren't you not supposed to flat the paint? You're only supposed to do the lacquer aren't you as otherwise you just sand out all the flake.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Fill with base coat. Let dry. Then lacquer over the top. Then flat back down
that's how I've seen it on DW.

Paints te gone off by the sound of what you have said.

Get a needle and build It up in layers. If it still does it, get another fresh kit from a proper paint shop.

RB 182
Yup I built up small layers of paint then added the lacquer and flatted back. I will see how much it will cost for someone else to do it before I have another crack myself.

RB 182
Any tips on a good place to get some new touchup and step by step procedure? It's a deep scratch about 8" long and will require some of the old lacquer to be flatted down again first. I've just had a quote for the boot to be resprayed... £150 :(

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Your best bet is going to some paint store near you and getting them to mix you a little bottle of colour.

Your doing it the right way by doing it , bit by bit.

Ive lost worse scratches like this so it's doable!