ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

is this a lot to replace price wise failed mot

renault 172
53 plate 172 with 50k on it only had it ten months was shocked when i got the failure sheet due to mileage here is the list ive got front driveshaft replaced abs ring fooked now got the other silly light driver angle sensor had this done before test today failed on excessive balljoint movement both sides nearside rubber gaitor sidelamp out exhaust blowing middle section pads fooked ive been given a price off 350 this includes the drive shafts is this cheap or to dear im well fed up first french car will be the last never had problems like this before

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
So you bought a s**tter and now blame all french cars?

Ooooooooook.

Half of that stuff should have been spotted when you looked at it.

RS6 C7
If the previous owner didn't maintain it then problems will occur, Its your fault for not checking it over properly before you bought it, Sell it and take some Grammar lessons.

Clio 172 Cup
Hi mate, you used to be on ScoobyNet? Sure remember the username, silver blobeye? Anyway I am new to Clio's too, got mine as winter transport this year, from what I understand driveshafts are pretty pricey so probably about right moneywise but I am no expert on them, in fact learning as things fail or get repaired LOL

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
its all wear and tear stuff that can be on any car. best bet is if your getting a garage to do the work ring a few in your local area to get some quotes.

renault 172
Hi mate, you used to be on ScoobyNet? Sure remember the username, silver blobeye? Anyway I am new to Clio's too, got mine as winter transport this year, from what I understand driveshafts are pretty pricey so probably about right moneywise but I am no expert on them, in fact learning as things fail or get repaired LOL

yes i was on scoobynet and still am what was your user name

53 plate 172 with 50k on it only had it ten months was shocked when i got the failure sheet due to mileage here is the list ive got front driveshaft replaced abs ring fooked now got the other silly light driver angle sensor had this done before test today failed on excessive balljoint movement both sides nearside rubber gaitor sidelamp out exhaust blowing middle section pads fooked ive been given a price off 350 this includes the drive shafts is this cheap or to dear im well fed up first french car will be the last never had problems like this before
Yoou've got an 8 year old hot hatch with a possible dodgy last MOT as for its being French didn't you know what you were buying? You pay your money and take your choice you wanted a cheap well speced hot hatch wasn't going to be perfect. You didn't expect a Lexus did you?
As for the list of problem
Driveshaft replaced - What was actually wrong wwith it they don't break in half so much have been a broken gaiter happens to all cars even Fords
ABS ring broken - you'll have got a new one with the new drivesaft so whats the issue they replace the shaft you get a new ABS ring for free. They do break its the better way than having to buy new shafts when they corrode. Yep some cars don't have this issue but thats because the bits cost more to make so you pay more.
Driver angle sensors - not exactly common issue is it actual boken? MOT won't pick that up as a failure from memory
Excessive ball joint movement - Its a hot hatch built to a price which has been hammered round for 50k and is 8 years old what did you expect? All cars suffer this. Hot hatchs and small cars more so
Sidelamp out - yep they do break but hey its a light bulb didn't you check pre the MOT?
Exhaust blowing - Again cheap hot hatch 50k and 8 years old. Most hot hatch have a new exhaust by now.
Pads worn - Err not sure wwhat to say thats what they do you can minimise this buy buying a car with new pads and not braking. Clio break are very very good and powerful. Most other hot hatches don't have brakes like it.
As for the price well a new shafts £150 say and includes the ABS ring. Ball joints well a garage should chnage the whole arm but they won't manage that for the price therer qiuoting so there just changing the joints IMO which is wrong and depend what parts depend s how much it will cost. Light bump a few quid. As for the exhaust what are they doing welding it up?

If your that unhappy your've spend £350 say £400 for a years costs for a year that £1 a day, realy thats cheap.

As for other companies build I rate Renault well up compaired to most of the competition.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
So you're angry. But its your fault...

You've either bought a car without looking at it properly first or you've failed to maintain it properly.

pimp mobile Zafira
Look around for different quotes but some of that sounds like general wear and tear. Get it sorted and enjoy i

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Then why did you buy one if they are s**t?

Iv had mine for 1 year only problem iv really had is having to replace the exhaust...

As Daniel said youv bought a dog or just didnt look after it..

On the hunt!
I've got a Williams 2 and don't get any grief. Sailed through its MOT. Now that's a 16 yr old French car. I probably get more grief from my 197 Cup - wipers turn on when they want to. Auto headlights turn on when it's light etc.

Price for the work isn't bad. Do it, look after it, move on.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
lol fact they are s**te gonna break it and crush it myself with my fookin jcb

Clown. Do what you want, means we don't have to suffer you any more on here. I've driven a reasonable share of both expensive and 'cheap' cars and I can promise you it is how they are maintained and not what country they were made in.

You bought a dog, man up and accept the fact you made a mistake. Then get the AA out next time to help you buy a car that is not mechanically doomed to fail. Oh, and get some english writing and grammar lessons.

Last edited:

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member
ive never had any trouble with either of my clios ive had first was a trophy and now my b/g 182 so i can only think was you bought from someone who didnt maintain it properly.

If it makes you feel better my 93k, W reg phase 1 172 passed it's MOT with no advisories on Monday. :)

You clearly bought a lemon, don't blame all french cars!

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
How many of these fords and scoobys have you owned? 1 of each? 2 of each?

Gav_r26

ClioSport Club Member
  2006 Megane R26
If it makes you feel better my 93k, W reg phase 1 172 passed it's MOT with no advisories on Monday. :)

You clearly bought a lemon, don't blame all french cars!

I have a W reg phase 1 too that just ticked over to 115k this morning. Passed MOT with no advisories two years ago and only failed on a numberplate bulb last year which was my own fault for not checking. Its all about how they are maintained. Look after it and it will be fine, don't look after it and get lots of unexpected bills, like anything really.

RB 182
Sorry.

I am with the masses though and think the OP is a bit of a moron for buying an 8 year old hot hatch and not expecting to have to spend any money at all on it just because only done 52K

To me low mileage on an old car doesn't normally equal easy motorway cruising so id expect steering / suspension components to be as worn as one with higher mileage.

Last edited:
  Clio 172 Cup
Sorry.

I am with the masses though and think the OP is a bit of a moron for buying an 8 year old hot hatch and not expecting to have to spend any money at all on it just because only done 52K

To me low mileage on an old car doesn't normally equal easy motorway cruising so id expect steering / suspension components to be as worn as one with higher mileage.
No problem mate, totally agree ;)