ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is the phase1 a future classic?

Clio 172 X(2000)
I've checked through all posts and can't seem to find an answer to this question, Is the sport phase1 a future classic, i myself have an x reg 172 and was wondering if the above question is true, please let me know your thoughts, cheers all x:D

I reckon the Cup/Trophy will be regarded as "classics" more than the PH1, even though a lot of people on here prefer the PH1.

Evo 5 RS
tbh no .. on all accounts. Too close to the williams - and future classics need to be reasonably rare. If any will, it'll be the trophy arguably. Although I much prefer the Ph1

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
no........

No plaque, no limited eddition...... It will be a nice collectors car if you an find a low mileage one ( sub 40), however not a classic!

S

Clio 172 X(2000)
I was under the assumption the ph1's were reasonably rare, i know there is an absolute shedload of the ph2's but there are never any of the ph1's for sale cheers silent scone
tbh no .. on all accounts. Too close to the williams - and future classics need to be reasonably rare. If any will, it'll be the trophy arguably. Although I much prefer the Ph1

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
was going to say, the ph1 172 exclusive would possibly be a classic if kept in good condition.

a regular ph1 however will probs not!

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
The ph1 will be a future classic, its got the "hardcore" looks or you could even say "ugly" and will be the Renault 5 GT turbo of today but only original examples with low miles.
When was the last time you saw a 80`s Hot hatch" on the road? I have never in my time of owning my ph1 seen another ph1 172 loads of ph2`s and even the cups but not the ph1 172.

If exclusives weren't in a crap colour with awful wheels they'd stand more of a chance! Lol.

They'll never a classic. Any of them. The V6 is the only one with any hope.

Stagecoach Ticket
would be my guessing aswell that only the V6 will become a classic. The PH1 will be a sort after car but cant see it carrying a classic price tag

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
I doubt it very much, non have been class defining, and theres too many of them to be worth keeping hold of.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
In all honesty i think the Clio 1.2 is probably more of a classic. Its very 90's & noughties and defines the small city car well in these last 2 decades!!!

Most people even Petrolheads dont know about the PH1, as said above the only hope is the V6. I cant see the Trophy being a classic, maybe more sought after in good nice but not classic.

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
Everywhere you look some chav owns a 172 now unfortunately. There are too many around.

On the other hand they have been said to have brought the hot hatch back to life.

Clio 172 X(2000)
I disagree! I rarely see a Ph1 172 round where I live, and those that I do see tend to look very well looked after!
okay i agree with this, mine is very well looked after and i'm sure this is the same for 99.9% of people answering this thread. also to danny, there were 20,000 made but i dont think for 1 minute that there will still be 20,000 now, maybe closer to 10, cheers all keep the replies coming v.interesting

RS mk2 172
If you keep it long enough any car will start to appreciate in value. I just had a troll through e bay and was amazed at some of the prices that old cars were fetching from the 70s and eighties and not necessarily in good nick.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
no. For renault

The 5 Maxi/Turbo2
The Williams
The V6
The Spider

Nothing else will be remembered or classed as iconic!

172 Phase 1 & 172 Ph
I have had a my phase 1 SORN'd for 2 years now, can't bring myself to sell it. Thinking about it though, i don't think i'm as attached to my phase 2....

LY 200
No.

Its no more a classic than a mk 1 16v which is not a classic.

The only classics or pending classics are the Williams, Trophy, V6, R27's and Gordini's imo.

172 Cup
I doubt it very much, non have been class defining, and theres too many of them to be worth keeping hold of.

Clio Trophy? Regarded as one of the best handling hot hatches of all time, integra Type R beat it to the title in Evo. I cant see any other Clios that have the potential to go u[p in value with the Exception of the Trophy, still fetch top dollar now, surely thats a sign?

If the Trophy fails then i think sadly no Clio bar the Williams wil ever be considered a classic and that goes for the V6. To be a classic i think you have to have won/dominated a form of Racing like the Quattro audi and Stratos did in rallying, the Maxi Turbo the Metro 6R4 etc etc

VaVa
Not as long as I've got a hole in my arse. lol.

They're good value for the money, if you can stand the sight of it - They go for peanuts these days, it seems.

Stripped yozza'd cup
I think it will only be the cup (because there will be so few left) and the trophy, and possibly the exclusive (but I'm not convinced it's good enough) that will be collectors items, not so much a classic though.

Ph1
The exclusive is a bit of a wet lettice.

I reckon the yellow ones will be worth a lot more as theres only a handful left

williams and trophy
Clio Trophy? Regarded as one of the best handling hot hatches of all time, integra Type R beat it to the title in Evo. I cant see any other Clios that have the potential to go u[p in value with the Exception of the Trophy, still fetch top dollar now, surely thats a sign?

If the Trophy fails then i think sadly no Clio bar the Williams wil ever be considered a classic and that goes for the V6. To be a classic i think you have to have won/dominated a form of Racing like the Quattro audi and Stratos did in rallying, the Maxi Turbo the Metro 6R4 etc etc[ /QUOTE]

do you mean like a rallying pedigree? like only the r5, clio 16v and williams have? class victories, champ. winning cars? lol

I think there's difference between classic and iconic.

A Williams has a certain pedigree about it that no other Clio has. Regardless of what parts were added/left over from another model.

I don't think any Clio will ever be a 'classic'

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
no........

No plaque, no limited eddition...... It will be a nice collectors car if you an find a low mileage one ( sub 40), however not a classic!

S

Don't remember the 205, Golf GTI's etc having plaques on them. Classics? yes they are and I bet they made as many if not more.... The 1*2's will end up the same in terms of "classic" come 20 years down the line.