ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is the 40D still a capable camera?

Skoda Fabia Vrs 180b
I want to mve away from the 500D and step up. Have been mulling over a 50/60D but seen a brilliant price for the 40D and can invest the remainder of the budget in the tamron 17-50 2.8

Is the 40D still worth buying or is the 50D vastly superior?

Oil Burner
Yes it is. Albeit without the high ISO abilities of the 50d/60d. Other than that and the higher res screen (50d) there are few practical differences between certainly the 40d and 50d.

Skoda Fabia Vrs 180b
cool. im not really after movie capability as I want a camera for photos. The 40D is still good up to about 800/1600 iso though isnt it? again. for viewing the pc, you can never tell how good they are until they are on the comp anyway!

Yozz'd up 182
I have a 40D

1600 iso unless you put iso expansion on and the you have H after that. never used it though.

2014 Focus Titanium
40D is a great camera, the only problem is you are losing a few attributes from the camera you already have:

1) Great High ISO ability
2) High Res screen
3) 15MP
4) HD Video (not a problem if you don't use it)

But on the flipside you get:

1) Better handling
2) Better build
3) Higher FPS

Toughy, but I think I would keep the 500D until you have the money to move to a 50D.

Skoda Fabia Vrs 180b
Seen this for sale for £750ish including delivery which seems like bloody goo value IMO. get me used to the xxD range and then look at the 60D/7D next year when prices are down

Canon 40D boxed, mint, less than 15000 actuations.
Tamron 17-50 F2.8 mint, boxed
Slik pro 700DX tripod and head
Manfrotto 679B monopod with 234 head
Crumpler muffin top 5500 should bag
kata e91 strap
Hoya 67mm Circ polarizer
Sandisk 8gb Ultra card

Cupra
£750 for that lot is good value for money. I'd be tempted to hold out for a similar package for the 50D or if you could be bothered, buy that one and then sell off the 40D and other bits that you weren't going to use to make a 50D cheaper still.

The screen of the 40D was one of my pet hates, when you zoom in to view the image at 100%, it never looks sharp. For the rest, it is still a great camera.

Skoda Fabia Vrs 180b
the only thing i would need would be the tripod as already have one so if sold 40D, and tripod I should have enough for the 50D. just not sure if its worth the effort. I know trhe tamron is a great lens for the money so happy with that, just not sure if I would be happy knowing I could have had a 50D for an extra £100