ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

is my clutch on its way out or not?

t3 corolla 116bhp
think i may be having clutch issues. mine judders a bit when engaging 1st or 2nd when cold but when the engine etc has warmed up, it doesnt. is that a clutch problem or something else?

ta

J

Black R27, 205gti
mine didthe same thing, i don't think its anything major to worry about. When i installed a rstuner it reduced it quite abit.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
It's not a clutch issue, if it's only when cold.

It's mapping, if anything.

Try slipping the clutch less?

Clio 182FF
Greets!

It's not your clutch that's on the way out. I had this EXACT same problem until I had my car serviced and they did NOT change the clutch. On the Renault service sheet there's a check box relating to clutch judder and they check this during a service. Now my car pulls away silky smooth so my guess would be that there is something that can be adjusted or tweaked as the clutch wears with age. :)

Also, it could be that your spark plugs need replacing (taken from the Haynes service manual for the Clio MK2). This could explain why it's worse when cold. Side note - I had new spark plugs included within the service.

320d
Greets!

It's not your clutch that's on the way out. I had this EXACT same problem until I had my car serviced and they did NOT change the clutch. On the Renault service sheet there's a check box relating to clutch judder and they check this during a service. Now my car pulls away silky smooth so my guess would be that there is something that can be adjusted or tweaked as the clutch wears with age. :)

Also, it could be that your spark plugs need replacing (taken from the Haynes service manual for the Clio MK2). This could explain why it's worse when cold. Side note - I had new spark plugs included within the service.

The spark plugs in his dci.................... ;)

This is happening on mine as well. Again its more noticeable when its cold. Cars in for the belts on friday and they are giveing it a once over before the MOT i na week or so. IS there anything i could ask them to look at to fix this?

t3 corolla 116bhp
thanks for all the info

as for spark plugs.........eh.no :)

its going into birchdown in a fortnight anyway for some servicing so i might pick their brains bout it when im down there

172 cup
if there anything like my old 1.8 16v clutch pedal to the floor and slip foot off so it twangs back up a few times usually sorts it out. Watch your ankles thow lol

Black R27, 205gti
thanks for all the info

as for spark plugs.........eh.no :)

its going into birchdown in a fortnight anyway for some servicing so i might pick their brains bout it when im down there

Birchdown will sort it for you, they know what their doing.

t3 corolla 116bhp
still have this. i think when i was at birchdown i mentioned it but i dont think they saw a problem. so why is it happening? as said before, its only when the car is cold and when i go to release the clutch after engaging 1st, 2nd gear, there is a sharp judder that causes the gear lever to go back and forth like a bronco. once the car has been driven a mile or 2 it gets less and less until its eventually gone. and its only in those 2 gears when cold. going from 2nd to 3rd when cold is absoluely fine. the only way i seem to be able to have any effect on it is by reeeeaally slooowly letting th clutch out whilst giving gentle revs and i mean stupidly slow.

any ideas?

Fiesta ST2
mine used to do this (fair enough its petrol not diesel so maybe not the same issue). i used to use cheap supermarket petrol (tesco) and it did it when cold - ive started using maxol and shell and its stopped even when its cold.. its a bit strange but thats what sorted it for me.

adam.

t3 corolla 116bhp
sounds alot like engine mounts mate, but i can't explain the whole cold issue

had read on the forum about engine mounts but as with you, it wouldnt explain the cold issue. really would appreciate any other thoughts on this please!!

thanks

t3 corolla 116bhp
any other suggestions. still have this issue but there is definitely no change in revs when its happening so i'm guessing the clutch itself isnt slipping, but what is causing the judder?