ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is my 03 172 FF an import??

It does not have a factory fit alarm, or CD changer (or was this an extra).
Also the car is not on the stealer parts directory/database.

Anyone else had/seen this?

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Yes, no alarm, probably not got locking wheel nuts. No big deal, all came from the same factry.

172 Cup
I think mine is but thbqfh it makes no difference to me, just wish the dealer would have told me about it where I got it. Was my ex's godfather ripping me off what a c*nt!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Locking wheel nuts aren't pricey, you can pick up a cat 1 alarm cheap on ebay. Job done.

182 has now gone!
I bought my Renault locking nuts off someone on here for £15.. Have a look in the sales section....

B

Bucko

Sh*t, i've just realised that mine might be an import! Well, it doesn't have locking wheel nuts anyway, just the key thing for the cover. It has got a CD changer though.

What are etched windows?

Is there a more certain way to find out if it's a import?

Black Twingo GT
I have some Genuine Renault locking nuts you can have for £15...no idea what the postage would be though as they are heavy.

Dan

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Sh*t, i've just realised that mine might be an import! Well, it doesn't have locking wheel nuts anyway, just the key thing for the cover. It has got a CD changer though.

What are etched windows?

Is there a more certain way to find out if it's a import?

does it have an alarm? that's the main thing, my 172 was an import but still had a CD changer.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
All built in the same factory mate:D An alarm wheel nuts and etched windows do not justify the price difference when buying or selling .

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
it didn't make any different to mine when I sold, but the condition of the car spoke for itself.

B

Bucko

Alarm=a light by the gearstick.

I've got the flashing red light on the door lock/unlock button next to the hazard light.

Sorry i can't check my car but it's in the garage being repaired after my accident last weekend.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Alarm=a light by the gearstick.

I've got the flashing red light on the door lock/unlock button next to the hazard light.

Sorry i can't check my car but it's in the garage being repaired after my accident last weekend.
Not that one bud. On the plastic base area next to the gearstick, there should be a small led that flashes. If you have this, you have an alarm, if not get one sorted sharpish, doubt you'd be insured if the car was pinched.

RB + LY 182 FF
i wouldnt worry bout it mate.
mine could be it doesnt have a std alarm but its got the cd changer and etched windows with locking nuts.. anyof which could of been fitted afterwards.
All french at end of day !!

B

Bucko

GK51, it's Feb 2002

Do i need to tell my insurance company that it's an import? Did the original buyer buy it from Renault on the cheap or something?

JMR

RB 182 Cup
Just sold mine and got what I wanted for it.

It was an '03 172 from TradeSales.co.uk [classed as import, though only ever registered in the uk] However it had major services every 12k miles, oil changes between, had a meticulous service history, run on 98ron minimum, and was in as good condition for its age as any on here.;)

Had the full 3yr 60k warranty, which helped sort out CD head units, cats, centre pipes, steering wheel replacements etc.

At this sort of age, whether its an import or not is immaterial. Condition is key. They are all made in the same factory ffs.

If you're after locking wheel nuts, I suggest trying CHRISK172+ on here. Last time were about £18 iirc.

JMR

RB 182 Cup
GK51, it's Feb 2002

Do i need to tell my insurance company that it's an import? Did the original buyer buy it from Renault on the cheap or something?

Definitely worth letting your insurer know - some people won't insure import cars/ end up putting a higher premium on it.

Let them know if its got a Cat 1 alarm and you should be ok. Never had any problems with mine.

PH1 172 Sport
Mines got the alarm but its not on the dealers database under its registration number have to go by the VIN. What do people mean when the say the windows are etched? ie whats etched on them?

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
I think mine is but thbqfh it makes no difference to me, just wish the dealer would have told me about it where I got it. Was my ex's godfather ripping me off what a c*nt!

He won't have known and it doesn't affect the value either really - so no need to get upset... They were sold through UK sellers, like car supermarkets and stuff, and when you come to move it on personally I don't see a reason to mention it?

My 197 is an "import" and I owned a Ph2 172 import in the past.

It's no big deal at all - the cars come off at the same port. One set of cars go to Renault to have an alarm, wheelnuts and etching done; the other set go to another warehouse for distribution to non-Renault dealers. It's extemely easy to make a car fully UK-spec and there are very few people that are put off by an "import" for this type of car.

My '02 Ph2 172 did come with a 6-CD changer. The 6-CD was quietly dropped from all cars sometime in late '02 or early '03.

VaVa
My 197 is an "import" and I owned a Ph2 172 import in the past.

It's no big deal at all - the cars come off at the same port. One set of cars go to Renault to have an alarm, wheelnuts and etching done; the other set go to another warehouse for distribution to non-Renault dealers. It's extemely easy to make a car fully UK-spec and there are very few people that are put off by an "import" for this type of car.

My '02 Ph2 172 did come with a 6-CD changer. The 6-CD was quietly dropped from all cars sometime in late '02 or early '03.

Was mid to late '03, dropped to the options list (£200) - Cruise Control was fitted in lieu.

The only people who are likely to haggle over an import now are dealers. It made a difference when the car was newish however.