ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is mild steel strong enough to make subframes?

My trusty lil 182 :)
I've got a pair of Cobra Evolutions to fit - one standard and one GT width - and speaking to Cobra today the GT with one won't fit with x-low subframes and will need adaption bars on the standard subframe adding weight and cost.

So I might have a crack at making my own. Question is will mild steel be strong enough? Found this place that looks good for steel supplies
http://www.metals4u.co.uk/products.asp?Cat_ID=50

Can't find hardened steel for sale anywhere and figure it will be a b*****d to do anything with anyway so mild seems easier if it's safe. Anyone know??

don't know if i should have done or not but i've made subframes for seats out of mild steel square section tubing/angle iron before now - no problems, but then i didn't ever crash the car they were fitted to!

tbh, can't see decent tubing not being strong enough

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Mild steel is still v. strong. It just rusts pretty easy unless you get it treated.

If you're into metal design then you should have a pretty good idea on this already really.. If not then I will suggest that getting anything made in mild steel isn't very expensive.

You'll just need some detailed drawings with measurements and you're good to go.

Focus RS Mk1
yeah will be fine mate, if you make your own and weld them in, then chnces are its the welds that may split, crack, break away first.

MS will be fine.

My trusty lil 182 :)
Cheers for the responses guys. Not something i've done before but my father in law is into metal design and has all the kit so between us we should be able to cobble something together! Mild steel here I come....

Megane 225
We spec mild steel plates to be welded to beams to support floors in buildings for work! So yea it's strong enough! 250N/mm squared to be precise for it's tensile strength!