ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

is it worth it

mk 2 clio
right, so im new on here. and i got a 1.2 clio mk 2. its my first car. is it worth modifying it to go faster or just wait a couple years and get a better one to do it too once my insurance has gone down.
and advice would be great, or any easy things to do thaatll make it better perfomance will be good too.

C1 VTR (Company Car)
It's not worth it really, You'd definetely have to modify without telling your insurer or your premium would sky rocket. I've just got my first a 1.4 S and there's no way I'm modding it. Better to just wait imo :)

172 berg, Fabia VRS
You will never recoup the money you spend on modding your current car,
so my advice would be put the money you were going to spend on mods away and save for a renaultsport clio, you will be much happier in the long run.

If you do mod your car and dont declare it to your insurers then have an accident your insurance will be void!

And you could lose everything.

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
Ph1 is the first mk2 with the roundy headlights (Your shape).

Ph2 is the mk2 with the pointy headlights (182/trophy etc).

1*2 is either 172/182.

And theres not really much point in modifying it for speed imo. Headunit/speakers etc are all transferrable/sellable so do that if you need to scratch the modifying itch imo.

1eight2
whats 1*2 mean, im still farily new to all this ph1 and 2 thing aswell

Sorry, as Akay said 1*2 is a 172/182.

Performance wise you should leave it standard. Possibly an exhaust for sound but not some cheap Halford backbox, neither will give you any noticeable performance boost.

Aesthetically you could lower it and change the wheels but avoid the euro look as its been done to death (sticker bombing, stretched tyres etc.) OEM+ keeps it standard looking with a few tweaks. Somebody on here had a red 1.2 lowered on white steels and it looked spot on. I had a quick look through the projects but couldn't dig it out.

Hope this helps...

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
You will never recoup the money you spend on modding your current car,
so my advice would be put the money you were going to spend on mods away and save for a renaultsport clio, you will be much happier in the long run.

If you do mod your car and dont declare it to your insurers then have an accident your insurance will be void!

And you could lose everything.

this, or/and do modifications you can sell on when you change your car; 172 rear bumper, ph2 lights, cup/dynamique spoiler, dual optic headlights etc.

no point modding a (clio in general unless its charged) 1.2 for power gains, make it look nice if you want to modify it

Clio 1.2
I also have a mk2 1.2 but a ph2. I'll be modding mine to make it look nicer but the only thing performance wise will be a nice panel filter, but even that isn't gonna do much. Is it a 16v or 8v. I have the 16v and tbh if you drive it right it will still go, none of my other mates can keep up with me in their first cars

Steve

mk 2 clio
i thinks its a 8v. but im getting the hang of driving it around quickly to be fair. and thanks everyone, will probably wait another year or 2 then get a cliosport. will probably make it look better though, been looking a head and taillights for it, anyone know where i can get them at a decent price. and how would i go about lowering it, i used to help my dad on cars when i was younger but never took anything in and wanna learn how to do it now i got my own car.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
im getting the hang of driving it around quickly to be fair. will probably wait another year or 2 then get a cliosport.

not a good combination of comments there lol! driving it quickly around where?

and thats a bad attitude to have if you aspire to own something that could rapidly accelerate you into a wall

mk 2 clio
not a good combination of comments there lol! driving it quickly around where?

and thats a bad attitude to have if you aspire to own something that could rapidly accelerate you into a wall

well accelerating wise im getting the hang of it, but thats why im gonna wait a few years before getting a cliosport, im not just gonna jump in a car that i know is quick and try drive it fast, ill take it easy and not drive towards a wall at speed. lol

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
lol youd be surprised what you can hit when you arent aiming for it... i once hit a lamp post that was on the passanger side of the car with my drivers door while on the move.

although you should be just getting the hang of driving well, not driving fast but tbh, get all the stupid out of your system this year while you're on your first car :eek:

As much as people will try and put you off clio_bmxer, i had a 1.0L Corsa as my first car, and i modded it up to the hilt!, now i have a clio mk2 1.4, i love it!. I have already got to work on modding that(i got it 9 weeks ago). If you have the money to put on mods, then it is the most satisfactory experience you will get :eek:.

Dont have to spend a arm and a leg...
-Carbon wrap your renault diamonds?
-172/182 Grill
-Air filter - if you like a good induction roar like me ! :rasp:

They are just 3 things off the top of my head that you can do yourself, cheaply and easily.
If you want a pic of mine so far, just let me know for ideas :) !

mk 2 clio
im not always driving around fast, just every now and then, normallt im driving around sensibly not being like every other guy that just got their lisence as i know my insurance is high enough and im paying it myself not my parents like a lot of new and or young drivers. so there isnt much stupid in my system while driving, that comes out when im out with my mates on my bike. and thanks joshsta ill look into that see what it looks like.