ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is it ok to powder coat a brake caliper?

Monaco 172 + mk1 RSi
As title, car could do with a bit if titivation whilst it's off the road and I was wondering of it's ok to powder coat a brake caliper?

Will it stop the caliper cooling as well

What else do I need to do, does the seal around the piston just pop out?

Thanks Jamie

i wouldnt, you'll have to strip it down very very well and mask all the threads and unless you find someone who will put the Powder coat on very very well its likely to be silly thick and clog up the caliper, care will have to be taken as you only want it on the front face really i guess (the bits you see).

Monaco 172 + mk1 RSi
My plan was to get them sand blasted of a fashion first aswell, u think its a bad idea?

Ph1 172
Just use a wire brush and hammerite. Ive had the pad carrier pwdercoated, but youd need to strip down the caliper itself fully to get coated. Plus with blasting, you will have a hard time keeping the fluid channels clear of debris

Monaco 172 + mk1 RSi
What? As far as I know there's a piston, sliders and brake pipe to cover/remove, if I don't ask I won't know, and if I don't try I will never learn

ph1 172
I sand blasted mine then gave them around 5 coats of bbq enamel paint.

IMG_0102.JPGIMG_0098.JPGIMG_0097.JPGIMG_0109.JPG

ph1 172
Yes I did.

Its time consuming, messy, and dangerous if you do not wear the correct safety equipment.

Look ok though don't they;)

Monaco 172 + mk1 RSi
They look spot on, i need something more substantial than hemmerite, it fades like fook